Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help

Article about: I've been looking for a nice used example to add to my Vietnam M1 liner for many years now at the local shows. Unfortunately I haven't found a nice aged example. I've seen these apparently N

MAP
    ?

Default M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help

I've been looking for a nice used example to add to my Vietnam M1 liner for many years now at the local shows. Unfortunately I haven't found a nice aged example.

I've seen these apparently New/Old stock listed on eBay for a while now. Except for the "cats eyes", I really can't tell a good from a repro.

Are these any good? If not /or better yet, does anyone know where I can buy a "used" example cheaply.

Vietnam Era US Army Original Elastic Band for M1 Steel Pot Helmet - Unissued | eBay

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help
    P
    Many

Bad pictures in his listing. Not sure if I have a spare one but I will look.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I remember the hardest part to source for my Vietnam War era M1 was getting a correct era elastic strap, typically you want the strap to be stamped "BAND, HELMET, CAMOUFLAGE, US", have a box stitch linking the strap into a circle, and they shouldn't have the reflective cat eyes on the back. I would pass on these since they aren't marked and you can't see the stitch in the back.

Here's a link to a thread I found talking about them: Question about M1 helmet elastic bands - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Bad pictures in his listing. Not sure if I have a spare one but I will look.

Marty
    Thanks Marty. If you do have an extra I will pay for it.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    I remember the hardest part to source for my Vietnam War era M1 was getting a correct era elastic strap, typically you want the strap to be stamped "BAND, HELMET, CAMOUFLAGE, US", have a box stitch linking the strap into a circle, and they shouldn't have the reflective cat eyes on the back. I would pass on these since they aren't marked and you can't see the stitch in the back.

Here's a link to a thread I found talking about them: Question about M1 helmet elastic bands - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    Thanks Steve. Let me read through this link.

I just found my bottle of bug juice I had since I was a kid in the late 70's (it's probably just post Vietnam era but isn't dated) and now want to finish off the helmet. (with my Zippo as you know )

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Original band on one of my helmets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help   M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help  

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Marty. If you do have an extra I will pay for it.

Thanks Steve. Let me read through this link.

I just found my bottle of bug juice I had since I was a kid in the late 70's (it's probably just post Vietnam era but isn't dated) and now want to finish off the helmet. (with my Zippo as you know )
    I have the zippo standing next to my helmet on the top shelf with a Chieu Hoi Magazine Bag. Would love to get a "bug juice" bottle for my helmet, or any of the other accessories for the helmet band but can't work up the nerve to spend $30-$40 on a plastic spoon or a plastic bottle.

I’m looking for a Bug juice bottle for the helmet I give my dad. I have a picture of him wearing his helmet and the big juice was under the band.

Marty

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I’m looking for a Bug juice bottle for the helmet I give my dad. I have a picture of him wearing his helmet and the big juice was under the band.

Marty
    I bought two or three of these as a kid at the Army / Navy store. Used them camping. This is the last one I have. Not sure of the era, but I got them in the later 70's. Still, from photos I've seen green and clear bottles on Vietnam helmets. On the green bottles most have white writing but I think I've seen some with black. Even if not exactly pre 75, it will display well.

Here are a few of mine, all dated December 1966. Although never opened, about 1/3 of the contents has evaporated. The stick-on labels are in great condition though.

In detail:

Sorry, the pics rotated themselves.

My dad and with bug juice on his helmet

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet Elastic Band Help  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast