Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Re: Vietnam Patches

Article about: Hi all. I bought some patches(& other bits) at the weekend in Central France. I've known the dealer(not Military) for quite a while now & think he is trustworthy. He said they came f

Default Re: Vietnam Patches

Hi all.
    I bought some patches(& other bits) at the weekend in Central France. I've known the dealer(not Military) for quite a while now & think he is trustworthy. He said they came from a Frenchman who had lived over there for over 15 years. As I started to try & research some of the things I realised the reason why I never normally buy stuff I have zero knowledge of............... fakes & reproductions. Anyway I have so I hope that there is some genuine stuff amongst it. Positive & negative comments welcomed the same although hopefully the former. I take better photos if needed, please just say. There is a fair bit of stuff which I can share on here if any of it turns out to be of interest. There is a real mixture of ARVN, NVA & US items, some of which the collector has neatly identified. I have attached a couple of patches & some badges. Many thanks in advance. RobRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam PatchesRe: Vietnam Patches

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Re: Vietnam Patches
    P
    Many

HI Rob

Unfortunately all these are modern reproductions out of Vietnam and going by your trusted dealer friend about 15 years.

Vietnam era patches are much more detailed , excellent pieces of hand and machine embroidery.

The originals have a different look , feel, construction and embroidery, all of yours have incorrect colors.

Vietnam era patch collecting is a minefield Rob and originals are very expensive.

Going by the lot you have shown , I would say the rest are all reproductions.

Your PRU patch is listed here as probably all of your other patches.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._odkw=PRUPATCH

Rhade patch

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...odkw=PRU+PATCH

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

See if you can get a refund.

Phill

Hi Phill.
    Many thanks for your reply- much appreciated.
    That's OK...…….. caveat emptor as they say.
    I have spent many hours(now) looking at photos & as you say original patches are expensive & hard to find.
    Tbf to my "friend" he said the patches were €5-10 & not more.
    I bought 150 patches from him as well as a lot of NVA medals & collar badges, ARVN metal badges.
    The chap has neatly identified a lot of the stuff(NVA) from a book by Edward.J.Emering.
    There are US period maps & some of the NVA stuff is in relic condition.
    I'm hoping my outer is the 6 ARVN Berets that came with them. They appear to be genuine...…………..
    Probably all duff now!
    I suspect the collection may be a mixture of a few genuine bits but predominantly repro.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    Bien cordialement Rob

Hi Rob

5-10 euro each is a dad give away. Rhade/Koho originals I think are in the $US300(?) each, possibly more. I have stopped collecting Vietnam era theatre made years ago and they were expensive then!

There is a massive market place in Ho Chi Minh city selling reproductions of US, NVA and all sorts of other nations militaria from gear, , paperwork , NVA flags , berets , hats, clothing etc...for 20 odd years custom made with coffee and tea stained patches.

Phill

VN items are a real mine field. I've been burned on some VN cloth items.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.