Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Short sleeve ripstop coat

Article about: Just wondering if this is a in country alteration or done postwar, I remember seeing lots of photos of short sleeve combat jackets, but are they just folded up? I got it cheap so I figured i

CBH
    ?

Default Short sleeve ripstop coat

Just wondering if this is a in country alteration or done postwar,
    I remember seeing lots of photos of short sleeve combat jackets, but are they just folded up? I got it cheap so I figured it was worth the chance. Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short sleeve ripstop coat   Short sleeve ripstop coat  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Short sleeve ripstop coat
    P
    Many

it would be very hard to tell if it was done in-country or post war without veteran provenance. I suppose you could examine the stitching on the shortened sleeve and see if it looks old, or more recently done.

CBH
    ?

The stitching looks very old and machine done, I tried to post a closeup but it wouldn't load.
    My question was more , was this ever done in country?
    Thanks for the reply.

If you search online for Short sleeved US jungle jacket they seem to be fairly common, so i'd say they were an in country mod.

CBH
    ?

Thanks Gunny, I found it a charity shop* for about Fiver* so I couldn't pass it up. (*contains UK Slang)
    Anything Vietnam related is getting hard to find, so I took a chance.
    Thanks for the help.

A bargain, there are a couple for sale here in the UK £60-£80. I notice the sleeves have been stitched with a white/off white thread, lots of the "in Country" made tiger stripe and ERDL clothing uses the same colour thread.

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the price range, I have a few Nam Era items but I have no idea about prices.
    Glad the forum now has this new section, cheers.

I agree with gunny, this modification was pretty common in country.
    As an American collector it surprises me that a vietnam jacket is so valuable in the UK. Here in the states this sort of jacket would be hard to give away. The short sleeve M65 jacket i had a few years ago sold for $8!

?

For me, to be honest I'd never been too interested in the Vietnam War until I saw the Ken Burns documentary - now I'm hooked....

From what I can tell, these short sleeve jungle fatigues were very common with US Airforce and US Navy personnel. I have trouble finding US Army or Marine examples, not sure if these were US manufactured with shortsleeves or they were just longsleeves that were cut down.