Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Usmc captain uniforms opinions

Article about: Dear Gents USMC is not my collecting area and a friend gave me as gift this USMC uniforms:jacket and pants and I would like any light about rank that I supposed for a captain but I don,t kno

Default Usmc captain uniforms opinions

Dear Gents

USMC is not my collecting area and a friend gave me as gift this USMC uniforms:jacket and pants and I would like any light about rank that I supposed for a captain but I don,t know for sure if the silver bars matching with this type of dress uniform instead the black bars,on the other way what is this lanyard used for and finally I would like date(I was said in another place stuff is last 60,s mid 70,s)this stuff.
    Sorry if it is the wrong place to post it
    Thanks in advance
    Fernando
    Usmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Usmc captain uniforms opinions
    P
    Many

Hello. These service uniforms can be hard to date. I agree it's post WWII, likely 60's/70's. Its my understanding that Saco trademark in Philadelphia dates from 1949 onwards.

I can't help with the Captain bar, could have been added. Careful removal and study of these may help.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 'lanyard' is actually a fourragère, a French military award (also given to foreign units, e.g for service in France) in the form of a braided cord. If so, it would appear to be on the wrong shoulder.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc captain uniforms opinions   Usmc captain uniforms opinions  

Hi Chris
    Here are a couple of pics from Captain bar, I hope this help and about this pins system to attatch from when is used(year)??
    Usmc captain uniforms opinionsUsmc captain uniforms opinions

Quick reply - Uniform is most likely WW2 - 1950'- if tunic buttons are dark bronze in color. Buttons are black. Bottom pockets are typically billowed on officer uniforms.m,Applied eagle globe and anchor lapel devices are mid 1950 - current if black in color. they are officers insignia if the fouled rope is wire. Fourragère, is correct for 6th Marine Regiment but is on incorrect side of uniform. Captain insignia is correct from pre ww2 - current. SACO is the manufacturer for all of my officers dress uniform 1970 - 2000. USMC dress uniforms have very few changes from 1950's to current. Lots of this info on English Wikipedia

Correction - Buttons are black mid 1950 - current

Hello,

The insignia, like the uniform, is of post-WWII construction.

During WWII insignia was mostly of pin-back or screw back construction. These Ballou clutch pins are found on some war-time insignia but construction is different, most evidently the clutch backs themselves are plain/flush and free of the cleats seen on more modern examples (see image 2).

According to Dr. Howard G. Lanham's research, that Ballou clutch pin on the rear of the bar dates from the 1960's (see image 1).

His is a useful site and I have used it in the past to roughly date these clutch pins on US items:

Images from Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc captain uniforms opinions   Usmc captain uniforms opinions  

?

The uniform is post-1956, most likely post-1960. The EGA on the tags is the Pattern 1956, which did not see widespread implementation until 1960, though there was some use in the late 50s.

Captain bars are correct, officers never wear subdued (black) on their dress or service uniforms, only their camouflage utilities when in a field environment.

French Fourragere is authorized for members of the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments only, and only worn when the Marine is a member of one of those units.

Never try to date insignia by the clutches...they fall off all the time and are constantly replaced.

?

Great info given by Brig.
    The maker of the captain bars is "Wolf-Brown, Inc., Los Angeles, CA. (W22)"

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks to all from you for your kindly responses
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usmc captain uniforms opinions  

Quote by Velasco View Post
    Thanks to all from for your kindly responses, now I need to find garrison cap, shirt and tie and add a few medals, bars, etc to complete this set, by the way this first class diver badge would be properly to an officer jacket like this???
    Usmc captain uniforms opinions
    Any from you have any spare shirt, garrison cap or tie to complete this set?
    Thanks in advance