Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VN "Cowboy Hat" Collection

Article about: The next stop in sharing my collection with the forum brings me here, to share my small collection of Vietnam Cowboy Hats. I believe these are still hugely undervalued (especially if they ar

XJC
    ?

Default VN "Cowboy Hat" Collection

The next stop in sharing my collection with the forum brings me here, to share my small collection of Vietnam Cowboy Hats. I believe these are still hugely undervalued (especially if they are on bidding on ebay) in the militaria field. I think they make a great display item and have such an individuality to them - I guess the fact that they weren't issue doesn't help - but they are cool.

So first up is the first I bought, I was at War & Peace and hadn't found a thing - and this just caught my eye, a rare example of the desirable bright pink lined "LuongPhan tailor" Cowboy, in almost immaculate condition - and a large size too. It also helped that the dealer (former owner) is a really decent guy who always has fantastic items, out of his own collection.
    Sadly this was also the last item I purchased at Beltring with my father, who I sadly lost in the January of the following year. It was a trip to the War & Peace show with him when I was about 11 that first triggered my collecting, and he and I went every year from then on. I doubt this will ever leave my collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement VN "Cowboy Hat" Collection
    P
    Many

XJC
    ?

Next up we have another more standard tan/green cowboy, but with a nice metal Viet-nam tab to the side. Has the plasticated sweatband which I always prefer and look for.

(well I've messed the attachments up on this post - you wouldn't think I work in tech, build websites and set up IT systems when I can't even delete an attachment on a forum, or get it the right way up - anyway you get the idea.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VN "Cowboy Hat" Collection   VN "Cowboy Hat" Collection  

XJC
    ?

Thirdly, one of my favourites - really nice tan 'been there' example with original embroidered Captain's Bars to the front. Again the plasticated sweatband.

To the rear it also has an in-country unit patch, most likely added later for Vet meets. A nice touch.

XJC
    ?

Fourthly, another with a few nice patches, I really like the Airman rank insignia to the front. Also has the Bien-Hoa tab, a couple of Thai air base patches and the standard 'Sorry bout that' patch to the other side. A proper Airman's Cowboy this one.

XJC
    ?

In keeping with the Bien-hoa tab, another here this time on a Tiger-Stripe Cowboy (I can't remember what the pattern is, if anyone could jog my memory?)
    This example was also purchased from the same guy as the first was.

XJC
    ?

And finally, a very small Thai example, with the rectangle vents seen on these, in ARVN/Thai ERDL camo with a bright red lining.

And of course a family photo.

Last edited by XJC; 06-20-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Very nice group of iconic hats. As you say non-issue but very prolific at least in the imagery I see. I agree that one would expect them to be more sought after. I have always liked these but as I am not a specific "headress collector" I had perhaps best not look too closely lest I live up to my "Militaria Magpie" sobriquet

Thanks for showing

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

XJC
    ?

Haha "militaria magpie" is familiar, I've spent years trying to hone and refine my collection. Which I finally have now - everything must fit into one of a many hundred collecting categories.

Nice collection there, but i cant help thinking some of those sweatbands would make you sweat.

I know it isn't really the same type of hat but I bet many of my age will associate the style with Slim Pickens as Major Kong in the cult movie "Dr Strangelove"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast