Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Front heil your thoughts

Article about: Hi guys. Can i get your opinions on this please. Back at sea and never brought my books. And have no experience with these buckles.David your collection is great! Although will say after loo

?

Default Front heil your thoughts

Hi guys. Can i get your opinions on this please. Back at sea and never brought my books. And have no experience with these buckles.David your collection is great! Although will say after looking there is such a wide range. As always thanks for your time and input. Front heil your thoughtsFront heil your thoughts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Front heil your thoughts
    P
    Many

Not one for me
    Ben

?

Thanks Ben much appreciated

Dear Allan

A curious buckle, although quite original in my opinion.

Anecdotally described “Stahlhelm” buckles are in my view quite interesting and are of course somewhat common and especially those in their “Front Heil” and “Der Stahlhelm” form. It is however worth remembering that Der Stahlhof in Magdeburg officially sanctioned only three buckle designs for the Stahlhelm-Bund der Frontsoldaten. This trio has been previously discussed within the Forum and with the support of period advertisements which clearly details the said three buckles, as namely (1) Stahlhelm, (2) Stahlhelm-Landsturm and (3), Jungstahlhelm.

With regards to the “old form” Front Heil and Der Stahlhelm buckles (to name just two of the more common designs), they were of course not subject to any form of regulations and as such there was essentially free licence, although for commercial (sales) reasons, the buckle emblem design had to adopt a certain style or theme.

I like the buckle that has started this thread and the roundel by the eccentric representation of a German steel helmet is well documented and is found in brass, burnished brass and nickle silver on brass, to name three variants. There are also known very minor variations to the exact design of the helmet as well as to the font style of the “Front Heil” declaration.

As for the box, I think that there is no hard and fast rule with regards to what could be expected to support this particular roundel. I have seen numerous buckles which display this particular and distinct roundel and I cannot recall a common feature of the boxes. Similarities yes, however no indication of what could be called a generic box to this particular roundel.

For the buckle shown, in my opinion it is the product of the “Cottage Industries” that were once prevalent and by the cannibalisation of a previously issued brass box. I must say that I do like the pin shroud and claws shown here.

An original buckle in my opinion, although admittedly, one that is not going to win any beauty contest.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

The box isn't what I normally see on Stahlhelm buckles but I think it has a good chance of being real. Here is a couple with similar roundel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front heil your thoughts   Front heil your thoughts  

Front heil your thoughts   Front heil your thoughts  

?

Thanks very much David and Kirby. Will just wait and see if the price is right. Like you say will not win any beauty awards. Will tead up more when not working 16hrs a day! Although should put 80ton of fish through the factory today which pays for the hobby��