Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Reichbanner

Article about: My friend Garry got the Reichbanner buckle recently. I don’t collect this organization but this is one I have never seen before.

?

Default Reichbanner

My friend Garry got the Reichbanner buckle recently. I don’t collect this organization but this is one I have never seen before.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichbanner  
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichbanner 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichbanner
    P
    Many

I also have this buckle it is the Jungbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold the youth group of the Reichsbanner mine is made the same way the eagles wings have remnant of black paint and orange red color behind it with a gilt face plate .It is a very different buckle then the ones usually seen. Charlie

?

Thanks I will pass along the info to Garry.

An extremely interesting buckle, however I am not at all sure that it should be designated as that for the youth wing, organisation or section of the Reichsbanner.

The same buckle as Nr. 3.42.1. appears in the reference work “Deutsche Koppelschlößer 1800 to 1945” by Jürgen Bandau. I am not aware of this buckle appearing anywhere else, although in this respect, I may be hopelessly wrong. The buckle is referenced by Jürgen Bandau as Jungbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold, as it may well be. It is the fact that I know of only one reference to name this buckle as that belonging to the youth wing, organisation or section within the Reichsbanner, that makes me a tad cautious. I should add that “Deutsche Koppelschlößer 1800 to 1945” is in my opinion an excellent and overwhelmingly accurate reference work and is highly recommended.

I am not sure if the Reichsbanner has a strong following by collectors, however the organisation which was formed in 1924 and was banned in 1933, makes compelling reading. This is a ridiculous attempt to describe the organisation in a few sentences, however it was a political party formed by Great War veterans with the aim of protecting the new found German democracy, which they perceived was threatened by right and left wing extremists. The declaration of the colours black, red and gold were in homage to the new German flag adopted in 1919, which represented all the hard fought for and newly found democratic principles which the Reichsbanner cherished so much. In 1931 the Reichsbanner formed with others the Iron Front, however in March 1933 and as fully expected, the organisation was banned, although was apparently revived post war. As with post 1945 manufactured and worn Stahlhelmbund buckles, the same caution I would suggest should be exercised with selected Reichsbanner buckles.

Again an interesting buckle and especially to those who have a taste in collecting from the turbulent and yet fascinating Weimar era. The buckle is most certainly Reichsbanner, however as it being, Jungbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold or simply a main use variation, I am not sure.

Does any Forum member have a second or third reference that supports this specific buckle as being “Jungbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold”?

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Here is my example. Only saw David's post after uploading mine - thank you for the short history, which conforms to what I have read about this organisation. I seem to recall several attributions of the eagle and motto design with rays to the Jungbanner, but would have to check.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichbanner   Reichbanner  

?

Thanks for posting your example Kurt. Thanks for all your information David.

The eagles are very different between the two buckles.
    Last edited by kirby; 04-01-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Default Reichbanner

A few more Reichbanner buckles a nickel 40mm and a 35 mm gold attribute to Jungbanner in Deutschland Koppelschlosser 1800 -1945 but like David said is the gold like the first one just Reichbanner . Also I wonder if there is a nickel body 45mm one? Charlie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichbanner   Reichbanner  

Reichbanner   Reichbanner  

Reichbanner  

?

Thanks for showing your nice collection of Reichbanner buckles.

In my opinion, this thread has shown some quite stunning Reichsbanner buckles and as I alluded to earlier, the organisation and by their Weimar period presence, is perhaps not the most popular with collectors.

What I found interesting is that the buckle which opened the thread, together with similar buckles subsequently shown, enjoyed the anecdotal designation of Jungbanner.

There are not many box buckles shown within the Forum which display a square, soldered on emblem. A quick on line search shows a simplified version of this emblem (no script) of an eagle set in a circle and supported by rays contained in an invisible square, being extensively used by the Reichsbanner. The emblem can be clearly seen on flags, documents, newspapers et al, however always for the Reichsbanner and not the organisations youth wing.

There is a well known period publication titled “Das Jungbanner” and where a pen drawing of a young chap is shown, complete with the emblem as previously described. Perhaps because of this publication and image, the buckle being discussed has erroneously however understandably been described as that worn by Jungbanner members.

I suppose though, it really does not matter as the buckle is spectacular, irrespective as to whom wore it.

The organisation is still active and their website is:-

Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold, Bund aktiver Demokraten e.V. - Reichsbanner Heute

Interestingly, a web search for Reichsbanner in general, generates some decidedly odd results. It would appear that it is possible to purchase on line, Reichsbanner themed face masks, clothing, place mats, mugs, posters and more.

Regards and best wishes,

David