Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold Well done. I am glad you got the rank lists. No serious collector should be without it. Such an effort sets a standard that others can well emulate. Cheers FB, The rank

Default Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

Hi

By way of an introduction................

I have finally been able to get around to documenting and analysing some of my RW pictures and albums. This journey has enabled me not only to broaden my understanding and enthusiam of the subject but also hopefully, add some valid contribution into the research of this understated (at least in the English language) and fundamental period in the development of the German Army.

The aim of this and subsequent posts is to publish the "most interesting" of the pictures to help facilitate the understanding of the headgear and uniform of the army from 1919 to 1933. I will use only photos in my collection so they are "unpublished " and new to the forum and will therefore be available for future collectors to draw reference upon.

This is purely my own interpretation of the pictures and so may well be wrong at times, as such I welcome all corrections, additions and criticism with equal measure.

I will also try to place in background information were possible to put a picture in context and help the viewer understand it's particular significance if required.

Effectively I hope to make this an "E picture book" of the Reichsheer using only original pictures and contempory sources of information. It will be broken down by Regiment or unit to show a representative spread across the Army, Artillery and Engineers.

My thanks go to FB who has not only encouraged me in my Reichswehr collecting but also provided valuable guidance as to where to find relevant information to enhance my knowledge on this subject.

Many thanks for taking the time to have a look !

cheers

Tony
    Last edited by spandau; 03-07-2014 at 11:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17
    P
    Many

Thanks for making it past the first page.......................

So where to begin ?

Rationally the best place is at the begining but as I am still collating my pictures from 1919- 1921, then I am opting to start roughly in the middle, 1925.

I am also starting with the the 6th Division rather than the first because I have the best information on these regiments. I will look at the 16th, 17th and 18th Infantry Regiments in turn.

We begin with...................

This album belonged to an officer from the 17th Infantry Regiment and he kindly recorded the manouvers of the Third battalion in 1925. Coupled to this rather nice record of the training of the RW units he also named individuals in the pictures allowing us the opportunity to cross reference and put faces to names on the ranking lists of that year.

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

The third battalion was stationed at Goslar and the officer served with them from 1924 to 1927. He was a Leutnant Krehan in Kompanie 10. He is the man at the front in the "faded" style tunic leading the men back in from a route march. Note the guy lying on the grass in the left hand side, he is wearing the drivers leather uniform and cap, indicating that the men have reached their destination, maybe he is going to take them back to barracks ?

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

The 11th kompanie are also on manouvre with them, this picture shows them coming in from the march, they mostly wear the first war 1915 blouse. Ltn. Krehan is visible in his distinctive tunic, in the middle is Ltn. Foertsch (11 komp) and the officer far right to whom Foertsch is holding out his hand is Ltn. Von Bauer the adjutant of III battalion.

Loading the kit onto what looks like railway stock is the 12th MG Kompanie under Oberleutnant Bantsch. he is in the front far right of the picture.

Another shot at the railway siding but from a different day as Krehan has a field grey tunic on and his field cap. Of note is that he wears the EK1 making him a veteran of the war and his cap has against regulations, a chin strap. Something i never seen before on the 1919 model cloth field cap. This must have been done to mark himout as the office rin the field. The soldiers all wear the m1917 universal field cap.

Attachment 657087
    Last edited by spandau; 03-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Team photo, Krehnan is next to the company commander Hauptmann Brack.

The senior NCO's alongside the officers. Ltn. Scneider on the right of Brack was from Komp. 11 he wears the field cap, all the others the 1920 pattern service cap with black chin strap.

The officers Group shot, Foertsch sitting down also sports a chinstrap on his field cap. The local children have photo bombed the picture by climbing on the bridge !

The Patrol Commando.....Ltn Ropke Komp 9 and Ltn Foetsch are on the left hand side, ltn Krehan is on the left.

Further pictures of the day to day activities showing the wear of all types of cap.

Stalhelm shot showing Hpt. Runnebaum 12 komp. chef with obltn. bantsch and ltn Krehan

Last officer picture is the III battalion commander Oberstleutnant von waldow giving a briefing.

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

The Imperial units from which IR 17 was draw are below, taken from the 1925 kalender for the Reichwehr which had plenty of information for the new soldier and is also a goldmine for the researcher.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17   Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17  

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17   Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17  

Last edited by spandau; 03-08-2014 at 08:33 PM.

In support of the original pictures it is always nice to see some colour images of militaria.

Here is a 1920 pattern Service cap issued to JR 17, originally in 1922 and then given to a member of the 13th kompanie in 1924. Ignore the 1917 stamp, some idiot tried to fake this into a ww1 cap before I rescued it.

Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17Die Reichswehr Im Bild: Infantry Regiment 17

The Feldwebel shoulder boards are IR 17 and have the tresse in german silver which has dulled over the years and the field grey cloth badge is clearly seen.

Couple of "arty" shots as well to show the items featured.

next up is an album for 15th komp IR 17 with some excellent transitional images circa 1934/35.

Two studio shots of other ranks wearing private purchase caps by the look of things.

The above shot clearly shows the "17" on the shoulder and he wears the 8 button walking out tunic with white piping down the front dating the picture around 1930 ish.

This proud looking Gefreiter bears the traditions skull of IR92 on his cap making him either a member of komp 1 or 4. Again circa 1930 with the later walking out tunic.

Great thread!...

Nice Reichwehr lesson and items I love the KS98 and knots in the pictures. Nice items timothy

Well done. I am glad you got the rank lists. No serious collector should be without it.
    Such an effort sets a standard that others can well emulate.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Well done. I am glad you got the rank lists. No serious collector should be without it.
    Such an effort sets a standard that others can well emulate.
    Cheers FB, The ranks lists was worth it's weight in gold, I need to get some later copies 1928,1930 and 1932 to help me along further.
    Before I got them it was the equivalent of sitting in a dark room looking at this stuff and when they turned up it was as if some one had switched on the light!

Next up some great shots of IR17 marching down the Unter den Linden...............
    Last edited by spandau; 03-09-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast