Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Reichsbanner Visor

Article about: OK. Throwing this one out there for a friend of mine. I've searched and searched. Has anyone seen something like this? Might not even be German or TR.

Quote by Migobeego View Post
    I intend to stay here for quite a long time.
    Good for you. I can give you books to read about the time and people who wore this cap, too, if you want....

Viz:

Political Violence in the Weimar Republic, 1918-1933
    Fight for the Streets and Fear of Civil War
    Dirk Schumann
    Translated from the German by Thomas Dunlap

398 pages, bibliog., index

ISBN 978-1-84545-460-9 $120.00/£85.00 Hb Published (March 2009)

ISBN 978-0-85745-314-3 $34.95/£24.00 Pb Published (April 2012)

Hb Pb View cart
    Recommend to your Library
    Reviews

“In noting that political violence was the product of choices made by political actors rather than the result of irresistible forces …Schumann issues a pertinent warning while making a first-rate contribution to the scholarly literature on the Weimar Republic.” · Central European History

“Today’s readers, living in what Charles Maier calls ‘a new epoch of vanished reassurance’, will find this book absorbing and troubling.” · The Historian

“[A[ well-documented and skillfully argued book.” · German Studies Review

“In his exceptional regional study of the Prussian province of Saxony, Schumann offers a richly detailed analysis of political violence in the Weimar Republic…This is a wordy but methodical and ultimately convincing work of scholarship.” · Choice

"Schumann ... calls into question some assumptions, provides interesting nuances, and helps to refine our understanding of the nature of political violence in Weimar Germany." · Journal of Modern History

"… provides a well-documented, solid narrative and challenging analysis of Weimar’s political violence…" · American Historical Review

“[This] definitive work, rich in source material and analysis, dispels stereotypes of political violence in the Weimar Republic.“ · Historische Zeitschrift
    Description

The Prussian province of Saxony—where the Communist uprising of March 1921 took place and two Combat Leagues (Wehrverbände) were founded (the right-wing Stahlhelm and the Social Democratic Reichsbanner) - is widely recognized as a politically important region in this period of German history. Using a case study of this socially diverse province, this book provides a comprehensive analysis of political violence in Weimar Germany with particular emphasis on the political culture from which it emerged. It refutes both the claim that the Bolshevik revolution was the prime cause of violence, and the argument that the First World War’s all-encompassing “brutalization” doomed post-1918 German political life from the very beginning. The study thus contributes to a view of the Weimar Republic as a state in severe crisis but with alternatives to the Nazi takeover.

Dirk Schumann is Professor of History at Georg-August University, Göttingen. He is the co-editor of Life After Death (2003), Violence and Society after the First World War (first issue of Journal of Modern European History [2003]), Between Mass Death and Individual Loss (2007). Most recently, he has edited Raising Citizens in the "Century of the Child". The United States and German Central Europe in Comparative Perspective (2010).
    Subject: 20th Century History
    Area: Germany
    Subject Codes

Contents

Preface
    List of Illustrations and Tables
    List of Abbreviations
    Note on the administrative structure of Prussia

Introduction

PART I: THE CIRCUMSCRIBED CIVIL WAR 1919-1921

Chapter 1. Radicalization and Violence 1919
    Chapter 2. New Mistrust, Old Enemies: The Massive Experience of Violence during the Kapp Putsch of 1920 and its Aftermath
    Chapter 3. Preventive Offense and Improvised Uprising: the “March Action” of the Prussian Government and the Communists 1921

PART II: SYMBOLIC FIGHTING AND THE STRUGGLE FOR TERRITORY 1921-1923

Chapter 4. The Political Murders of 1921/1922 and their Consequences in the Province of Saxony
    Chapter 5. The Catastrophe that did not Happen: Food Protests and Political Violence under Hyperinflation 1922/1923

PART III: YEARS OF CALM? POLITICAL VIOLENCE 1924-1929

Chapter 6. The Rise of the Combat Leagues (Wehrverbände)
    Chapter 7. The Continuity of Violence
    Chapter 8. A Parade of Men. Violence in the Political Culture

PART IV: THE ESCALATION OF VIOLENCE: 1929/30-1933

Chapter 9. The Rise of the Nazi Movement and the Persistent Weakness of the Communists
    Chapter 10. Escalation without Limits? Political Violence in the Final Phase of the Weimar Republic
    Chapter 11. Misjudgment, Downplaying, Approval: Interpretations of Political Violence 1930-1933

Conclusion: Political Violence and the Weimar Republic’s Chances of Survival

Bibliography
    Subject Index
    Index of People and Places

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichsbanner Visor
    P
    Many

Sweet Lord, looks like I have some reading to do!

MAP
    ?

That's the fun part!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have a shelf of books on all of this. Shelves. I collect black SS caps of the early epoch, i.e. the goons and whatever who were tearing down the Weimar Republic
    whom the person in the green cap with the brown peak was trying to resist. It is all of a piece. I spent a long, long time in my doctoral studies with the
    1918-1933 era, and I teach about it now at length. Hence, it is a favorite of mine.

- - ------- - -

Quote by MAP View Post
    That's the fun part!
    Some here think so. Others do not. They resent our little leaps into bibliography, but some of us are actually teachers for a living, so you can humor us.Reichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner VisorReichsbanner Visor

Here is the Berlin and the world in which this cap was worn.

YouTube

Heed well FBs' book suggestions. He will not let you down if you are serious in your quest. He is the "Gandalf" of the TR era book lands and will not lead you astray!

Quote by carpediem View Post
    Heed well FBs' book suggestions. He will not let you down if you are serious in your quest. He is the "Gandalf" of the TR era book lands and will not lead you astray!
    Thanks. Your intervention is a red cloth to my detractors.

Since democracy is again well and amply in danger, these thoughts are more than antiquarian.

The world surely would have been a better place had the first German democracy succeeded and Europe been spared a second war, no?

But this sentiment is irrelevant, other than whoever wore this cap aspired to such an outcome.

The people with the other caps beat him out, as the plot unfolded, and God knows what happened to the man under the cap.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks. Your intervention is a red cloth to my detractors.

Since democracy is again well and amply in danger, these thoughts are more than antiquarian.

The world surely would have been a better place had the first German democracy succeeded and Europe been spared a second war, no?

But this sentiment is irrelevant, other than whoever wore this cap aspired to such an outcome.

The people with the other caps beat him out, as the plot unfolded, and God knows what happened to the man under the cap.
    Correct. Had the man in this cap seen his views win the day, the world might be a very much different place. The crimped prongs and jawless sculls carried the day, through coercion and violence and whatever else it took, and thus much death followed in the wake of their aspirations and delusional image of their own movement.
    I hope being a red cloth is not a negative thing! I guess it all depends on perspective!

Stonemint, great spot...........I've never seen one before and would have said it's not German ! Everyday is a school day............

cheers

Tony

My goodness - NEVER heard of Reichsbanner! What a spot! I bow to in deference to the knowledge exhibited here - simply fantastic. It would be great to see that cap go into a collection with a restored Cockade. NH

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast