Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

Article about: Hello - I've got some Reichsmarine caps and uniforms I'd like to share and get some opinions about. The first couple - this white-topped peaked cap and sailor's dress uniform set - have been

Default Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

Hello - I've got some Reichsmarine caps and uniforms I'd like to share and get some opinions about. The first couple - this white-topped peaked cap and sailor's dress uniform set - have been in my collection for years

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation
    P
    Many

The shirt is pretty straighforward: it has the dress collar attached and has 1926 Bekleidungsamt Kiel markings (forgot to photograph sleeves, which are folded back.

Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

The dress "Affenjacke" I have a few questions about.

First, it has some very strange insignia on the left shoulder - a Seekadetten star above an Obergefreiter's chevrons. If it actually is correct - and original - my only guess comes from V.1 of Angolia and Schlich "Kriegsmarine: Unifoms and Traditions," p. 141, where it states:

"Soldiers who previously held a NCO rank before appointment as an officer candidate . . . while off duty (until promoted to Faehnrich) . . .wore their uniform with insignia of their NCO rank with the addition of the cadet's insignia on the upper left sleeve" -

But was an Affenjacke the off-duty uniform for an Obergefreiter?

Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

The second issue is that it is also dated 1926. According to Zienert's "Unsere Marineuniformen", p.243, however, while the plans to reissue the dress jacket for Matrosen were made in 1926, they were not actually issued until 1927. . . could they either have been issued earlier or was it stamped in the depot before issue? Or is it all just wrong?

Otherwise, it's a fine looking Reichsmarine or Kriegsmarine Affenjacke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation   Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation  

Here's the Tellermuetze that came with the set - "Kreuzer Berlin" tally attached and never fussed with. The interior stamps are from the Bekleidungsamt Wilhelmhaven, 1927.
    Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

The next item up is this white-topped Reichmarine cap. The top is non-removable and all the components seem to be of the same age.

The only doubt I've had about it is that in every photo I have ever seen of a Reichsmarine officer's Schirmmuetze, thel cockade is woven instead of metal. However, since Deckoffizierie and senior NCOs were also permitted to wear the peaked caps during the Weimar period, the metal cockade could very well be correct - I just haven't ever seen a photo supporting this supposition.

The only other question I have is that it does appear to have somewhat of an oval appearance when viewed from above, but this could simply be a later-era Reichsmarine piece. Or it's a Kriegsmarine peice with its cockade replaced by the Weimar eagle, though there doesn't appear to be any sign of a Hoheitsadler ever having been applied to the front of the cap.

Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

Finally, I have an unusual white jacket. While it looks similar to the Kriegsmarine NCO white "work jacket" - particularly because it has 3 patch pockets without flaps - has a lot of features which make it very different (I haven't added buttons or insignia yet because I'm still pulling these together - also trying to figure out what period it's from

In the first place, it has the "old style" short stand-up collar, though only attached with one hook-and-eye (though I suppose this could be a replacement?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation   Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation  

However, the curved line of the back panels (sorry, the shot's not great)- and the fact that the seam runs BEHIND the shoulder strap location (see the photos of the shoulders above), as well as the inclusion of an interior pocket, would seem to suggest that this might be an earlier, officer's piece - also, those loops for the slip-on shoulderboards would only accomodate the lower loop of officer or Faehnrich boards.

Which leads me to believe that this might be the "even earlier" version of the Officier's white jacket mentioned in Eduard Delgado's "Deutsche Kriegsmarine" p. 219 (I'm sure he's citing Angolia, but I can't find the right page in that volume right now)

Some Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluationSome Reichsmarine items for consideration and evaluation

The one thing that keeps me from supposing that this might be a Reichsmarine piece is the absence of the vent in the bottom of the back (clearly described in the 1925 “Die Uniformen des Reichsheeres und der Kreigsmarine nebst amtlichen Uniformtafelm” by Hoyer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast