Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

18th Century Mewis Blunderbuss?

Article about: Hey guys, blunderbuss has been in my Opas collection for over 20 years and this weekend my mom finally got around to holland to take pictures for me. I honestly have no clue when it comes to

?

So Ryan B,
    What does Opa say about it? He has had it in his collection this long, Has he done any research on it?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Tough call, but I actually like this piece, although it's been over-cleaned
    and the stock has been refinished. This will affect it's value.
    Most I've seen recently have sold in the $3,000-$3500
    range, were English made and in original condition.

People get the impression that the blunderbuss was strictly a naval
    weapon, but they were also sold and used as 'coach guns',
    and because of their short barrels, were put to good
    use as home defence arms.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I'd still like to try shooting it! They say that the bell of the muzzle really didn't help all that much to spread the shot, but I don't know. I've seen sawed off shotguns that would paint a wall of a house from a few feet away-is why they outlawed them years ago! I wouldn't want to be standing in front of this thing when the trigger is pulled!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's a directional area effect weapon, something like the claymore mine today or the M79/203 40mm canister round-they were used in situations where you were taking on a crowd at short range or where aiming wasn't really an option-you sometimes see them with folding fixed bayos as you only get one shot and then only if the whole flintlock thing works as required-could be late 19th century repro as this was a time when a lot of new money was looking to decorate new mansions with 'old' weaponry.

Hi,
    Very nice looking weapon but i think i go with the opinion that is may be a really good replica as said by wagriff ect there are no wear marks as in an original used piece, it is far to clean for my liking. I have 19th century weapons in my collection and they look knackered compared to this one
    but they are in good condition, I hope it turns out ok and has just been well looked after as it is great to find a nice piece like this one.
    Dave.
    Last edited by Panzer 3; 01-31-2014 at 07:05 PM.

We had an original for sale years ago when I worked for Leasure's Treasures in Colorado...I clearly recall the profuse marking on the brass barrel...Maker's Mark, Arsenal Stamps, Royal Coat of Arms, Inspections, Re-issue markings etc....
    This definitely appears to be a replica...
    cheers, Glenn

?

I'm sorry for the late response guys as my computer has broke and I havent been able to pop on much as I use to. Thank you so much for your responses, it truely is a half half replica real argument. I asked my mom and she said hes had this for over 40 years, my opa worked and restored old rifles (which is the fact the Walkwolf brought up about it looking clean) with his co worker who was one of the reknown antique gun dealers of holland in the 60s-70s they cant recall his name though. My opa claimed it came out of the tower of london, and also cleaned it and polished it alot back then.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Definite replica , might be a vintage replica but still a replica.

?

The proof marks that I mentioned that are on your Opa's blunderbuss are the type from the London proof house. The other blunderbuss I posted on the link has the Birmingham proof. Like I mentioned I am not an expert and I'm just trying to help with some of the proof markings shown.
    Either way It is a Great looking weapon and I hope you can get someone who specializes in these to help you out.

Good Luck!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

If these are original proof marks, why do they not match the catalog's proof marks? Why aren't they stamped into it with a hammer and punch and why are they in oval cartouches? They just resemble the marks in the link, but just barely. The point of any hall mark is to be instantly recognizable as such and the same as all the others so marked-not to be different but similar. Touch marks are a signature to show inspection and signatures have to match others, or else they will be rejected as counterfeit. If anything, perhaps the barrel was damaged and replaced with a newly cast replica?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast