Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1915 smle

Article about: Hi Guys, I have this .303, the first deact I bought actually back in 1999. I'm looking to sell it and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how much to put it up for please? The only n

Default 1915 smle

Hi Guys,
    I have this .303, the first deact I bought actually back in 1999. I'm looking to sell it and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how much to put it up for please?
    The only numbers I can find are on the receiver, bolt, barrel and rear sight, there seems to be very worn numbers on the forestock but unreadable. The only matching numbers are the barrel and rear sight. It has a brass oil bottle and a pull through. The sling is obviously not original. It is Spec A 97 deact. I know nothing about it really so any thoughts are most welcome. Thanks. 1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle1915 smle

Dave I would say look on dealers sites and take off 15% for a private sale, D&B Militaira , Ryton Arms etc
    Ben

Thanks. Oddly enough it was deactivated by Ryton Arms in 1997. I have looked around and they tend to vary a lot in price but I don't really know enough to work out why.
    That's why I was hoping that those with knowledge on here could give me a better idea of whether mine is of a lower or higher value.

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Dave I would say look on dealers sites and take off 15% for a private sale, D&B Militaira , Ryton Arms etc
    Ryton aren't in business any more.

I used to have dealings with Ryton, and spend a lot of time there. The reason for the disparity in value is the fact that some of their work could be, shall we say, poor! For a start the cocking piece on yours appears to be for a No4 not a SMLE, (see below).

1915 smle

Their standard method was to pick components from bins full of items and assemble weapons, they were never really much good unless you went and made your own by going through the parts and selecting matching items, (which was not open to the public).

Do bear in mind that to sell it must be brought up to the current deact standard.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi, I'm afraid I can't enlarge your photo to see that area. Although from what I've read it is unusual for one to have it's original bolt. Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am aware of that thanks Adrian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast