Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield

Article about: A while ago, maybe 2-3 years back I posted a pretty beat and deactivated No.4 Lee Enfield that was missing many parts. Well now thankfully I can do exactly the opposite of that. This makes m

Default 1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield

A while ago, maybe 2-3 years back I posted a pretty beat and deactivated No.4 Lee Enfield that was missing many parts. Well now thankfully I can do exactly the opposite of that.

This makes my first firearm, and unfortunately for my wallet certainly not my last. I’m green as they come to surplus weapons so please school me on whatever you can, I’m trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. I’m lucky to have some very close friends who are and have been for some time, big gun collectors and they have been helping me out.

This example is still in really great shape and should make for a great rifle when I get to put some rounds through it. Made in 1943, in Canada by Long Branch. It has matching numbers throughout which is nice, and an import stamp from England. I do think the stock has been sanded but I don’t mind too much.

Sorry for the pictures that’s just what I took at the show, hopefully it’ll be ready to pick up tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield1943 No.4 MK I* Lee Enfield

Nice purchase. Remember price determines a good buy. I have a 1942 Long Branch No4 Mk1* so my comments would be yes, the stock has been sanded. The serial number was stamped on at Long Branch, so 37L1823 would have been stamped at Long Branch on the bolt and under magazine. I see here the use of an electropencil which may have occurred in the UK, which suggests the bolt and magazine are not original to the rifle. The "England" stamp indicate it ended up in the UK, probably during the war years and post WW2 was exported to the US. Get it out on the range!

Nice buy!! Enfields are my personal favorite surplus rifles. I also have a 1943 Long Branch as well as a Lithgow no1 Mk III*. For shooting both of my Enfields like 180gr Remington core-lokt. Remington also makes a 174gr FMJ that replicates the MK VII cartridge. But I haven’t run those through them yet. I also hand load for my Enfields which is a whole nother hobby in and of itself. Have fun with her and enjoy and don’t forget to post the paper when you shoot it!

Thank you both very much, I figure the electric penciling would have been done by an armorer? I know for sure I want to get a First World War dated MkIII and another No.4 preferably one made in England.

I will be sure to post the paper when I take it out.

The electropencil marking No4 MK I (F) FTR tells you that it is a no4 mk1 (obviously). The (F) means it was done at the Fazakerley armory and the FTR means Factory Through Repair. So just like Anderson said it’s been factory refurbished probably in the late 40s early 50s to keep it in service

Yes, you are quite correct. I hadn't noticed the faint "FTR" mark until now. So this would have been repaired at Fazakerley Royal Ordnance Factory, which I understand did all the No.4 Mk1 refurbishment work.

Does look nice and glad you acquired it. Also like your Remington. My favorite semi auto is the 1100 I use for trap shooting. Enjoy shooting them.

Nice rifle Bodhi. Congrats.
    John

The England import stamp is a U.S. import requirement for the origin of the rifle when manufactured. Unfortunately the importers didn’t care that it was manufactured in Canada, or that the Savage Steven’s guns were manufactured in the USA, they just see them as English Lee Enfield rifles (not even British, England!).