Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?

Article about: Here is a German G43,Russian SVT40 and a US M1 Garand,all semi autos from ww2.My vote is for the Garand,what do you guys think?

Default 3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?

Here is a German G43,Russian SVT40 and a US M1 Garand,all semi autos from ww2.My vote is for the Garand,what do you guys think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?   3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?   3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

MAP
    ?

They all have their merits. And weakness. But to me the M1 is the all around best. It's biggest weakness is the lack of a box magazine.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Which one is the easiest to maintain? and which one is the heaviest?

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Which one is the easiest to maintain? and which one is the heaviest?
    SVT reportedly had issues with maintenance, cracked stocks and accuracy.

The G43 was made in limited quantities and had issues with some parts breaking. Also used as a sniper.

The M1 was by far the most heavy. But probably the most robust. Made in the millions (multiple times the other two rifles), used for decades and National Match examples are very accurate.

But these are just my views. I don't own an SVT but do own an M1 and two G43.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think the M1 by far. Due to the quantities produce and the number of nations that used them at one time or another and the impact on the conflicts they were involved in. The Garand continues to live on today in the US military in a ceremonial capacity.

I don’t have (or fired) either of the other two although they are on the very top of my wish list but I can’t imagine them being better than my M1!

Maybe the question needs to be widened to include the M1941 Johnson rifle. Where does it rank with the other three?, it did have a 10 round magazine and was used by the Dutch and Marines early in the war.

I think the US govt made a good decision to adopt the Garand over the M1941 Johnson. I’ve picked up an Johnson and handled it a bit (though once again never had the opportunity to put one through its paces) and I fell that it would be a nice range rifle but the Garand is more simple and feels more robust as a result more suited as a battle rifle in the hands of brand new citizen soldiers. The Johnson LMG on the other hand vs the BAR and Bren would be a good discussion!

Okie I won't vote for the kraut one as it's a copy of the USSR one! as to aesthetics I have to vote for the M1 Garand then.

Thanks guys!Dont have a Johnson rifle but need to find one!Here are the difference in the ammo of the 3.First a shorter 762x54r used in Russian rifles,next the german 8mm,then the ball US 30 cal.(30 06).Not sure which is more powerful .A box removable mag on the Garand would be nice but ,carrying all the mags and reloading them would be a hassle,yep the garand got it right.JMO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?   3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

only fired that where mine 7.92mm & .303 (bout the same kick), bet the .306 has more kick!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast