Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west

Article about: Picked this up used like new at a great price,hi polish stainless Ruger Vaqauro first gen.They are not making them in this caliber anymore.The ammo is harder to find and higher priced unless

Default 44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west

Picked this up used like new at a great price,hi polish stainless Ruger Vaqauro first gen.They are not making them in this caliber anymore.The ammo is harder to find and higher priced unless you reload.Actually I have found the ammo on line for 33.00 for a box of 50.Not terrible,this the round that won the west,shot in rifles and pistols of the period.The 45 long colt calber came later.John Wesley Hardin,Billy the kid ,Wyatt Earp used 44-40 .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west   44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west  

44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west   44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west  

44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west  

Bet it's got a kick to it.

One of the reasons that Ruger discontinued the 44-40 Vaquero is due to the fact that initially they used .45 bored barrels on them, which caused accuracy issues. Although they agreed to correct the issue upon return to the factory after this came to light, they discontinued this practice eventually. I believe that subsequent releases had proper 44-40 barrels, but the damage to the reputation with these was already done. Sales suffered accordingly, and they discontinued them.

I have one of the early releases in my own collection. Never bothered to send it back to be retrofitted though.

Thanks Michael! ,need to call Ruger and see if this one is a correct barrel,they have always done me right on sending anything in,they have great customer service,no worries.Lost a stock grip cap off a black composit 10 22 stock,called them,said they didn't have the part so they sent me a new stock free!Havent shot this Vaquaro yet but bet it has a kick,need to order some ammo.If you have seen the movie Night Of Grizzly with Clint Walker,they told him, its a giant killer grizzly,Clint says a 44-40 Winchester should take care of him,?..they said it hasent yet!But Clint killed it with a Winchester lever action 44-40 finally.Great movie if you haven't seen it.Anyway this Vaquaro 44-40 is a keeper as they arent making them anymore,you know how that affects value,it always goes up!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Havent shot it yet but bet it has a kick,need to order some ammo.If you have seen the movie Night Of Grizzly with Clint Walker,they said its a giant killer grizzly,Clint says a 44-40 Winchester should take care of him,?..they said it hasent yet!But Clint killed it with a Winchester lever action 44-40 finally.Great movie if you haven't seen it.
    Great looking pistol. I have a standard blued Vaquero in 45 Long Colt. (not sure if 1st and 2nd gen - It has the transfer bar though and I bought it new 20 years +/- ago).

Not sure how much difference there is in the caliber but the 45 LC doesn't kick at all. The pistol just rolls up a bit due to the design of the plow handle grip. It's a joy to shoot but I could never get much accuracy out of it. Certainly my fault.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Map if it says New Vaquaro its a later one,I have one in 45LC too,great revolers,mine is good accuracy but not a tack driver,dont think they were meant to be.Also I bought a mini 14 used a few years ago for 350.00,early stainless with wood stock and handguard.Shot fine but I heard about a recall,something about the recever.Called ruger and they said send it in,they said just the barreled action,so got to keep the stock and handguard.They called me and said we cant fix it,Anyway they wanted to keep it and told me to pick out any new ruger mini 14 off their website free of charge.Picked out one of the shorter carbines,879.00 retail,does it get any better?Yes It does, sold the stock and handguard for 150.00.So I have 200.00 in a new mini 14 in box with 2 factory 20 round mags,scope rings,lock manual,sling, etc. Aint recalls grand?ha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44-40 Peacemaker revolver,won the west  

MAP
    ?

Will need to pull mine out and see what it says. Ruger is a great company. I bought my son a Ruger American in 300 blackout . First box of ammo thru it worked great. Then bought some cheap stuff. 1/2 of them didn't fire. Turned out it was a flaw with the firing pin, sent it back. They called me up and asked if they could also re-bed and replace the stock for free because they didn't like how the original stock was molded. I didn't object
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yeah Map Ruger are good folks,talked to a dealer and he said Ruger firearms have went up in price lately,probably because they stand behind them,some companys don't.

?

That's a nice looking SASSy pistol. You would be the Head Honcho at one of their shoot's.

That is a beauty and 44-40 doesn't kick much. It only equivalent to 40 grains of BP.

I'll also add the Ruger has great customer service.

Semper Fi
    Phil

A real beauty and in 44-40. Been thinking about a Ruger or Uberti for a while now. I believe some Uberti models have the firing pin on the hammer like the original Colt 1873. My real want right now though is for a 1873 model short rifle from Miroku or Uberti. Looks like they do a remarkable job with the fit and finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast