Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!

Article about: I have been searching for multiple bring back guns on one paper for some time and finally found one! This set first showed up in the K98 forums in 2012 when then moderator Denny Giather(dece

Default 4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!

I have been searching for multiple bring back guns on one paper for some time and finally found one! This set first showed up in the K98 forums in 2012 when then moderator Denny Giather(deceased) purchased it directly from the family. Here is his posting:

Things seem to be a little slow here, so thought I'd post a windfall from a few years ago. At the time, the veteran had recently passed away and this fell into the hands of his son. The son didn't want this stuff in the house and called me to buy it. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity. This grouping was brought home by Joseph J. Tagliaferri (deceased) of Co. K, 22nd Infantry, 4th Infantry Division. This regiment landed on Utah Beach on June 6, 1944. Interestingly, Ernest Hemingway was with the 22nd Infantry Regiment during World War II when the unit saw action from Paris through Belgium and into Germany. All pistols were contained in a custom wooden storage case made by Mr. Tagliaferri. Fortunately, the two holsters were found in the house by the son.

First, the P640 (b), , WaA140(late 1942 manufacture

Included a nice holster marked "epf 1942 & WaA195". "epf" = Köenigs u. Bismarckhütte AG, Schweintochlo-Witz

2 proper wartime magazines, both bearing WaA140 proofs on the spine

Now, the French M1935A.
    This particular pistol bears none of the WaA's and was manufactured shortly before the outbreak of war in 1939. According to an advanced collector of French pistols - "The s/n dates this 1935-A to the Spring-Summer of 1939, before France declared war on Germany in September but after it was pretty clear war was coming; it was part of a shipment to the "Parc Regional du Material a Bourges" for supply to the French army." 9,500 pistols had been manufactured for the French Army, Navy and Air Force. This particular specimen is likely from that batch as it bears no German markings. The Germans manufactured approximately 23,850 pistols. The German occupation 1935-A s/n begin with B701 and end with D4550, made between 10/15/1940 and 4/28/1944. Each letter "block" was 10,000 pistols, with regular production for the French military starting with s/n A3175; earlier pistols had been used for testing, evaluation, etc.

Mauser HSc

Nothing really outstanding about this little HSC. It's an early commercial marked HSC. It has no WaA marks and the serial range places it in the "early commercial" range according to Pender's book - pp.224-225. Both grips have pieces broken off the edges. Otherwise, it's excellent in all respects. It came with an early magazine with the smooth floorplate with banner, and also a later style indented military one.
    Interestingly, it was brought home with an Albrecht Kind made Walther PPK holster with the magazine pouch mounted on the spine of the holster rather than the front. These holsters are rather scarce themselves....

Unfortunately, when David from Handguns of the World purchased it the holsters were gone. Much thanks to Matt Nation for his research on the vet Joseph Tagliaferri.
    4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!4th Division Vet brought back 3 guns on 1 capture paper!

?

great stuff

PRE
    ?

Outstanding! That checks a lot of boxes.

Pat

Outstanding story and pistols! Always great to have capture papers along with the guns. Sure is a popular market we are in now and prices reflect that! Sure wish I would have browsed that "junk crate" back in the early 70s at my LGS. Didn't know what to think when my friend paid $25 for that Type 99. Hope he still has it.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I'm happy to be the caretaker of these pieces of history!