Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun

Article about: I have been searching for answers for months, yet still no answers My MG53, it's topcover has no Yugo crest nor letter prefix by the serial number. Where is this topcover from? It definitly

Default After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun

I have been searching for answers for months, yet still no answers

My MG53, it's topcover has no Yugo crest nor letter prefix by the serial number.

Where is this topcover from?
    It definitly isn't an MG3 topcover seeing as to how it has [BK] stamps at the top and bottom of the cover.

At this point, any information, usefull or not is highly appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun  

?

Hi,
    It looks like it has been sanded and refurbished.
    Luc

If it has ‘BK’ stamps, it must be Yugoslavian. No other country used that style of control/property marking. The serial number is in exactly the same place as my own M53, and there is clear evidence of sanding above it, as said above.

Why they’d remove the Yugo crest, I have no idea. Perhaps a weapon that was kept in service after the breakup of Yugoslavia, and had the crest removed for political reasons.

Regards, B.B.

Okay, interesting
    Why would they remove the letter prefix though?

The positioning of the serial number looks central. If there was a letter prefix there which was later removed, I’d expect the remaining numbers to be offset to one side. It’s very possible that it simply never had one.

Or the original serial number was ground off, and a new one added by whoever removed the Yugo crest.

B.B.

Okay, thank you
    Yeah the numbers are center but VERY crooked.

Quote by JustAGuy1250 View Post
    Okay, thank you
    Yeah the numbers are center but VERY crooked.
    Which lends weight to it being hand-applied after the original was removed. We’ll probably never know who ground off the crest and the original serial number, but it’s certainly a unique piece.

B.B.

Thus more reason to not sell it, which I was thinking of last week

Definitely keep it. Even if it's an item with an uncertain history, it's unique as far as M53s go. The mystery only adds to its appeal, in my opinion.

B.B.

Found the following markings on top of the barrel shroud around the rear sight.
    Do these mean anything?

Greetings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun   After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun  

After months of searching, this MG53 is still a mystery gun  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast