Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems

Article about: Hey all, hoping someone with more gun expertise can help me resolve my Arisaka type 99 problems. I'll try and describe the issue the best of my ability. I just put the trigger, sear and sear

Default Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems

Hey all, hoping someone with more gun expertise can help me resolve my Arisaka type 99 problems. I'll try and describe the issue the best of my ability. I just put the trigger, sear and sear spring on. I placed the bolt into the barrel and was able to lock it into place. When the trigger is pulled it doesn't release the pin to dry fire the weapon. The trigger doesn't actually pull back when pulled. There is a upright pin the sear spring sits on and it may not be passing through the frame enough to allow the other side of the sear to drop and release the firing pin. Has anyone had similar problems with trigger/sear assembly on the 99?

Does the trigger move? Spring tension?

?

Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Disassembly - YouTube

In this video he takes it all the way down.

At 11:40 he takes the trigger apart. At 15:10 he puts the trigger back in. Maybe something in the vid might help with your problem

Semper Fi
    Phil

Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems

The best advice I can give you is to disassemble and start over. I know that its a pain in the butt tearing the stock, barrel bands etc down but its what I would do and have done many times. I threw in a close up of the type 99 trigger assembly.... And with that, I bid you goodnight.

I am including some pictures of the sear. The weapon should fire even with the stock and frame parts removed. The bolt does get engaged when you close the bolt. The sear should operate like a seesaw. When the trigger is squeezed, the sear pin with spring should move up into the frame slightly while dropping the back end of the sear and releasing the firing pin. I think the issue is in the front of the sear where the vertical pin is. I do not think it can pass smoothly into the opening allowing the back of the sear to drop. I don't want to take a file to it assuming that I am simply just missing something. It is essentially a Mauser configuration
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems   Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems  

Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems   Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems  

Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems   Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems  

The only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps the top tang piece is built to work with the bolt somehow and not having it present in the current configuration is causing the sear to not work properly. I'm usually really good with guns and figuring them out but do get stumped on a few here and there.

I don't believe the tang should have anything to do with it. Should fire stripped down. With the bolt out of the gun, pull the trigger all the way back and snap a photo of how high the sear pin protrudes through the receiver... Basically the same picture as your third one but hold the trigger back. I can then compare the height to mine and see if it is long enough to release the firing pin.

Here are two pictures of the catch. The first one is without any trigger pull and the second is with trigger pulled as much as allowed. The problem would have to be in the front end not going up enough to allow the back end to go down.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems   Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems  

There may be 1/16 inch of room for the front to come up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka Type 99 Trigger Problems  

?

You don't have the safety knob turned to safe on the bolt do you?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast