Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can a gun made 1873 kill a man in the year 2023?

Article about: I am uploading this thread for the curiosity of the subject. (I copy from the daily police report): Ioannina Greece, September 9 2023: 71-year-old man, Greek-American expatriate, killed with

Default Can a gun made 1873 kill a man in the year 2023?

I am uploading this thread for the curiosity of the subject.
    (I copy from the daily police report):

Ioannina Greece, September 9 2023: 71-year-old man, Greek-American expatriate, killed with a revolver a 35-year-old burglar who hit him with a metal rod.
    The revolver was a US WESSON & HARRINGTON .32 short rimfire, spur trigger, made between 1873-78.
    1st photo is the gun (and the old rimfire cartridges) and the following photos are the thief's weapons.
    Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can a gun made 1873 kill a man in the year 2023?   Can a gun made 1873 kill a man in the year 2023?  

Can a gun made 1873 kill a man in the year 2023?  

Good for the shooter.

What's the situation under Greek law, self defense?

He has already been arrested, but his fate will be decided later.
    Regarding the gun its legal (made before 1880), but the law says that if you can find operationally cartridges you are illegal.
    I will update if any news.

PRE
    ?

He's alive to be judged.

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6. Maybe he shouldn't have brought a knife to a gun fight? lol Whether they charge that man or not, he is innocent in the eyes of God.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

I'm not sure the premise of your post - the subject seems to be asking whether a C19th gun can kill someone in 2023, but your post just seems to be reporting a fatality of a house break-in in Greece where this weapon was discharged and allegedly killed the intruder. So this answers the question, which makes the subject heading a bit curious.

Generally, as anyone will know, no matter how old a weapon is, as long as it is structurally, materially and technically still able to function as originally meant, it can still be a lethal weapon - stick an ancient spear into somebody, or fire an arrow from a medieval crossbow at someone and see what happens.

So not sure the purpose of the post, but, if a 'righteous' use of lethal force hopefully the homeowner will get off on the grounds of self-defence in this instance...

Obviously you can kill someone with a stone, but here I'm talking about a gun.
    To put it differently, how many times in your life have you heard of a murder with a 150-year-old gun and especially with cartridges over 100 years old?
    Aghs

Here in UK, criminals often use antique obsolete calibre hand guns as they go about their business. As in you country, they are legal to own without a licence - as long as you do not intend to use them. I can see the day that because they are being used more and more in crime, they will eventually be banned - although banning them wouldn't stop the criminals using them!

Cheers,
    Steve

Lets remember people dont kill ...guns kill and the gun should be arrested
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast