Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Carcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help Please

Article about: I picked this rifle up out as a barn find in really tough condition that at least will not get any worse than it was. I am having trouble trying to figure out the correct model designation f

Default Carcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help Please

I picked this rifle up out as a barn find in really tough condition that at least will not get any worse than it was.
    I am having trouble trying to figure out the correct model designation from what I have researched. I was going with Model 38 Troop Special but would like to confirm, barrel length. 17 1/2" or 45 cm both approximate but close. The stock has the cut to accommodate the folding type bayonet. I also am not able to make out the first number or letter in the serial number. The nose cap appears to the the Fucile style also. It came with a sling as a bonus that is still serviceable. Please correct me if I am wrong. All opinions are appreciated.
    John

Carcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help PleaseCarcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help PleaseCarcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help PleaseCarcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help PleaseCarcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help PleaseCarcano Rifle 'Barn Find' help Please

MAP
    ?

Looks like a TS to me as well.

Have you seen this site? No photos but still lots of details on the TS vs the Short

Carcano Model Identification

I always found the different types of Carcanos confusing...but I don't study them enough to nail down the facts.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the reply MAP. I did use information from that site. A M38 TS is correct after resolving my confusion from a 'This Old Gun' video on the Carcano. I was running with all Carcano production switched to the 7.35 mm in 1938. I did not realize they switched back to 6.5 mm ammo in 1940 to simplify production during the war time stresses on production. So I thought I had an early caliber rifle (prior to 1938) on a 1943 dated receiver but a Model 91/38 (a cut down M91 into a short rifle) did not match the correct barrel length or rear sights.
    John