Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chest, S.A. No 15, MK1 - Lee Enfield No 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle Transit Chest

Article about: Wandered into one of my local haunts, and stumbled upon this 1943 dated Transit Chest for a Lee Enfield No. 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle. Seller stated it came from an estate clean-out. The family

?

Default Chest, S.A. No 15, MK1 - Lee Enfield No 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle Transit Chest

Wandered into one of my local haunts, and stumbled upon this 1943 dated Transit Chest for a Lee Enfield No. 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle.

Seller stated it came from an estate clean-out. The family kept the rifle - bummer! Regardless, I figured I could work the case into my display.

$30 price tag, however the seller (not me) talked himself down to $25

While I don't have the rifle, would be interested in knowing some history on it. Trying to decipher the serial # info. I believe on a No. 4, a "3" prefix would have been manufactured by BSA Shirley?

I believe all No. 4's were produced during WWII? Any way to confirm approximate manufacture time-frame on both rifle and scope?

Thanks in advance!

Chest, S.A. No 15, MK1 - Lee Enfield No 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle Transit Chest Chest, S.A. No 15, MK1 - Lee Enfield No 4, Mk. 1 Sniper Rifle Transit Chest

MAP
    ?

They kept the rifle but sold the chest? Seriously?

Combined the value increases significantly

Nice find. Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

In the early 1930s, a batch of 2,500 No. 4 Mk. I rifles were made for trials. These were similar to the No. 1 Mk. VI but had a flat left side and did away with the chequering on the furniture. Observed examples are dated 1931 and 1933. Roughly 1,400 of these were converted to No. 4 MK. I (T) sniper rifles in 1941–1942 at RSAF Enfield.

Only a copy and paste, so i'm not sure how accurate it is.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    They kept the rifle but sold the chest? Seriously?

Combined the value increases significantly

Nice find. Congrats
    Thanks, Map! Appreciate the kind words.

Yes, very odd. Apparently belonged to an older gentlemen who passed away. One of his children sold off all the guns, left behind all the cases. Seller had cases that went with modern firearms as well - nothing fancy in that lot.

I had a peek at values of the case by itself and am seeing some crazy $$$'s way above what I paid. I figured what I paid was a good price, but am now curious if I should be a bit more careful with the case???

MAP
    ?

Quote by Masonk View Post
    Thanks, Map! Appreciate the kind words.

Yes, very odd. Apparently belonged to an older gentlemen who passed away. One of his children sold off all the guns, left behind all the cases. Seller had cases that went with modern firearms as well - nothing fancy in that lot.

I had a peek at values of the case by itself and am seeing some crazy $$$'s way above what I paid. I figured what I paid was a good price, but am now curious if I should be a bit more careful with the case???
    I don't study these, but I know enough that the "packaging" is sometimes worth as much as the item that went in it
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    In the early 1930s, a batch of 2,500 No. 4 Mk. I rifles were made for trials. These were similar to the No. 1 Mk. VI but had a flat left side and did away with the chequering on the furniture. Observed examples are dated 1931 and 1933. Roughly 1,400 of these were converted to No. 4 MK. I (T) sniper rifles in 1941–1942 at RSAF Enfield.

Only a copy and paste, so i'm not sure how accurate it is.
    Thanks, Gunny. So 1400 converted; wonder how many were manufactured as Mk1? Without seeing the rifle, guess it would be hard to confirm if a conversion or war-time manufactured sniper rifle. Was hoping there may be a serial # database, but not finding much online.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I don't study these, but I know enough that the "packaging" is sometimes worth as much as the item that went in it
    Very true! As a avid toy collector, in addition to militaria, I can confirm the same holds true.

Again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Hello, thanks for the details picture. Amazing discovery.

Could I ask for some measurement?