Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945

Article about: Hi guys, I've been offered this Colt M191A1 for £1350. I think that's a bit on the high side but I can't find many for sale to compare to. I think he might shift a bit on the price but I was

Default Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945

Hi guys,
    I've been offered this Colt M191A1 for £1350. I think that's a bit on the high side but I can't find many for sale to compare to.
    I think he might shift a bit on the price but I was wondering what you guys think about the gun and how much I should offer? I don't have any other information on the gun at the moment other than it's an older spec deact.
    Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945Colt M1911A1 U.S. Army 1945

Can you buy handguns now in the UK? Is this a welded one? I have old spec Lugers and I cannot sell mine at all
    Ben

The serial number dates it to 1945, it is in rough condition, and no, Live pistols are not legal to own in the UK, even with a section 7.3 Those pistols are ones built before 1919, and there is a list of serial numbers you can own. Unless it is a "special" one, which I doubt this is. If it is old spec, these are usually sold "under the counter" But can still be sold to Islands in the British Isles, such as The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man....................

Section 7: Firearms of historic interest:
    (1)
    The authority of the Secretary of State or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision
    made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998) is not required by virtue of subsection (1)
    (aba) of section 5 of the 1968 Act for a person to have in his possession, or to purchase or
    acquire, or to sell or transfer, a firearm which-

(a) was manufactured before 1 January 1919; and

(b) is of a description specified under subsection (2) below,

if he is authorised by a firearm certificate to have a firearm in his possession, or to
    purchase or acquire it, subject to a condition that he does so only for the purpose of its
    being kept or exhibited as part of a collection.
    (2) The Secretary of State may by order made by Statutory Instrument specify a description of
    firearm for the purposes of subsection (1) above if it appears to him that –

(a)
    firearms of that description were manufactured before 1 January 1919 and;

(b) ammunition for firearms of that type is not readily available.

I'm not really sure of the extent of the deactivation yet. I do prefer old spec deacts of course and you're not really supposed to sell them unless the spec has been updated to current EU SPECS but on a no questions asked private sale who's to know!? If they go through a dealer they have to get them brought up to date before they can sell them on, I think.

It's definitely not live, just old spec deactivation. I'm waiting to find out the year of deactivation.
    Do you think it's not worth £1350 then?

That's about the going rate for a 1911 in any specification, so I'd say the price was fair.

The legality of purchasing it is an issue, though. Older-spec deacts are still being bought and sold 'under the table'. I've even seen some dealers at fairs with UK-spec deacts on their stalls. My personal opinion is that such sales are not hurting anyone, but it would be unwise to openly admit to purchasing older-spec deacts on a public forum. There have been no prosecutions so far, but that's not to say there won't ever be.

Regards, B.B.

Thanks BrodieBartfast, in that case I won't buy it then (if you know what I mean)

I've heard back that it was deactivated in 2001 and both halves match but as oberhaig said it is a bit rough so I'm still not sure if I could get a better one for that price?!

?

Quote by Dave Bates View Post
    ”but on a no questions asked private sale who's to know!?”
    The entire world... now that you have just broadcast it to them.

It is sad that these had to be destroyed to be preserved. That is perverse in many ways. I do not have any idea of deactivated values. A non-deactivated, in the OP condition, in the US would be around $900
    Good example of Colt's last run of WWII era guns. According my my notes the last Colt was 23368781. Not sure where that info came from though.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast