Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Deactivated M1 Garands UK/EU

Article about: Hi everyone I was wondering if there were any other M1 Gasn enthusiasts on this forum who also collect Deactivated M1 garands? I have several in my collection and I only collect Pre war and

Default Deactivated M1 Garands UK/EU

Hi everyone I was wondering if there were any other M1 Gasn enthusiasts on this forum who also collect Deactivated M1 garands?

I have several in my collection and I only collect Pre war and wartime M1s however may venture into pist war in the future.

I am currently on the hunt for one with serial 1 - 51,500 (5 Digits) made by Springfield Armory as I am trying to create a Gas Trap M1. I have almost every part to make an original gas traofifle exceptnfor Receiver and barrel!

Many thanks!

Scott

I've been collecting deacts for a while, and have wanted an M1 for some time. But with the current EU specs, the prospect just isn't that attractive anymore.

Are any of your M1's old spec?

Regards, B.B.

Hi mate all of my M1s are old spec. I don't collect the EU ones and never will. They're rubbish. However I would settle for an early serial EU M1.

Scott

The dark cloud on the horizon coming is that from March 2021 all old spec deacts will be considered illegal, unless they are taken in and deactivated again to the latest spec. All in all pretty depressing.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 08-05-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Correction.

Apologies, it’s March 2021...

As if the current deactivation laws weren’t onerous enough, turning any historical weapon into a large paperweight, the beaurocrats in the EU have gone one step further. While everyone else was watching the Brexit fiasco, the Government slipped through a new regulation called the Firearms Regulations 2019 on 31 October, with it coming into effect on 12 December this year. The new regulation states that anyone selling or giving away a deactivated firearm will be committing an offence if they do not inform the appropriate national authority, either by registered post or email, of the details of the new owner. As well as that, if the firearm was made before 14 September 2018 they must also include details of the make, calibre, brand, country of manufacture and serial number of the weapon. If the weapon was made after 14 September 2018 the details needed include all of those listed plus the unique marking affixed to each component part, excluding the magazine.
    And if you thought that was bad enough, here’s the real sting in the tail. It will also be an offence if you are in possession of a deactivated firearm and you don’t give the same notice to the national authority yourself. Where you bought or were given the firearm before 14 September 2018 there is a grace period until 14 March 2021 for you to register the weapon. So, every single person who owns a legally correct deactivated weapon must now register it with the authorities.
    Anyone committing an offence under the new regulations will be subject to a fine not exceeding Level 1 on the Standard scale. That’s £200 in case you were wondering. It applies to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Quite how the Police are going to enforce this regulation clearly hasn’t been thought about at all because it comes with the following admission from the Home Office: ‘A full impact assessment has not been produced for this instrument as no, or no significant, impact on the private, voluntary or public sectors is foreseen.’ Which sums up the stupidity of the new regulation perfectly.

The above statement is quite misleading... as the law currently stands, all EU/UK deactivated weapons which were deactivated to EU spec 2018-337 had to be registered with the authorities from December 12th 2019 onward. This only applies to the weapons deactivated from September 2018 onward. Weapons deactivated to the earlier EU specs FROM 2016, but BEFORE September 2018 have to be registered from March 2021 onward. The only information required about the weapon is make, calibre, and serial number. They do not ask for a copy of deactivation certificate, and there is no requirement for the unique markings of components. I have the forms in front of me as I type, so I am at a loss to understand where all this nonsense has come from. Completed forms can be emailed, or sent by post to the Serious Violence Unit at the Home Office. Do not expect acknowledgement of your documents either, because you will not get one. The Home Office didn't want this, but it was forced on them by the EU - and they actually stalled for as long as they could. They are only paying lip service to it.

There is no requirement for UK spec guns to be registered at this time, and no deactivated guns can be declared illegal if they were legally deactivated, have proof house stamps, and certificate. They can only be declared illegal to sell or 'gift' to someone, and this is exactly what has been done.

Another thing to consider... We have left the EU, and you see many dealers advertising UK spec guns for sale to non-EU members. It only takes someone to challenge the law and point out that the UK is now no longer part of the EU. So... the laws that apply to the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands should technically apply to us as well. You can be absolutely sure that someone is already looking into this already.

One more problem... you try selling post September 2018 spec guns to a dealer, and then ask for his details so that you can notify the Home Office, they just don't want to know.

Cheers,
    Steve

I think you maybe misinformed mate. No sight of anything like that happening.

Scott

Quote by GarandGuy93 View Post
    I think you maybe misinformed mate. No sight of anything like that happening.

Scott
    Which answer are you replying to?

10000% agreed mate.

Scott

- - ------- - -

Apologies mate it was the one prior to yours.

Scott

Apologies mate the one prior to yours!

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast