Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

early type FN Minimi muzzle Breake ID?

Article about: Hello, bit of a long shot posting here,if anyone can help, i am a first gulf war collector and i am currently concentrating on the weapons the SAS used, mainly the FN Minimi, i have a Mark 1

Default early type FN Minimi muzzle Breake ID?

Hello,

bit of a long shot posting here,if anyone can help, i am a first gulf war collector and i am currently concentrating on the weapons the SAS used, mainly the FN Minimi, i have a Mark 1 Minimi, but this has the standard small type muzzle brake attached, all images i have seen from the gulf period in use by the SAS seem to have a longer type muzzel break attached quite similar to an L1A1 SLR, can anyone ID, i am looking for one, or looking for dimensions to have one made to replace the one i have, but i am struggeling to get any info as images of these type seem scarce, was it custom? i have also seen an image of a use soldier with a mark 1 with this long type muzzle brake attached, here is the brake i am talking about, screen grabbed from a video:

Well known Bravo two zero picture, notice the same muzzle brake attached:

and here is the standard type:

Looks like a GPMG flash hider.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Looks like a GPMG flash hider.
    And it might actually be...

The L108A1 is the British 5.56x45 version which has long been criticsed for it's lack of punch versus the L7 series GPMG (FN MAG also now in US service).

The US produced a modified Minimi in NATO 7.62x51 known as the M249.

The SAS were rumoured to have used these in GW1.

The British Army is about to replace the 5.56x45 weapons with the newer FN Minimi 7.62x51 (same as the L7 GPMG) which is sometimes dubbed "Maximi" so the answer is likely somewhere between all this. I would be most willing to accept that flash hiders from the L7 series had been grafted onto the 7.62 Minimi by SAS armourers. These are unit level replacement parts and could be demanded from stores by any armourer with responsibility for L7 series guns. It would depend on the barrels having similar screw threads which is more than likely for weapons of the same calibre.

This of course is assumption on my part as I am not so close to things as I was but it might help you find where to look.

Regards

Mark

PS I forgot to mention that if you intend trying to obtain a flash hider you should look very closely at current firearms legislation which makes much of flash hiders themselves as prohibited "component parts" so be wary. For my part I never have been able to understand why the legislators get their pants in a knot over an inert piece of metal but they certainly do. and some jobsworth official would make much of it too!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-21-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The guns against the wall are from the original purchase of FM Minimi guns which were adopted by the UK as L108A1. The flash hiders are correct for the pattern/model that the British Army were purchased. After this the Para version was purchased which was adopted as the L110A1 and then the L110A2 which would take the same optical sight as the L85A1 (SA80) infantry rifle.

The actual guns against the wall were abandoned by the BRAVO Two Zero team after a fire fight.

Regards

AlanD
    Sydney

?

I never had long flash hiders on my minimi. Not in the army, not in my collection.
    The longest i got is a Swiss Asta minimi.

US commercial Flash hider

Very early FN minimi

Belgian Army minimi Para

Some Belgian army 7.62 minimi

Standard Belgian Army minimi barrel on the ground

Dutch MAG58 FH

MAG58 ABL FH and Coax vehicle FH

Contact me if you need MAG58 or minimi (legal) items
    Paco out

I'm in the US. What are the chances of me being able to find an FN Minimi lower handguard that can be shipped to the US?

Also in search of the buffer assembly for the Minimi para stock...