MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German G43 vet bringback,opinions

Article about: This rifle is in near new cond.it was duffle cut as you can see in pics.The stock is so nice I am not going to repair it as I wont be shooting this one,opinions appreciated.

Default German G43 vet bringback,opinions

This rifle is in near new cond.it was duffle cut as you can see in pics.The stock is so nice I am not going to repair it as I wont be shooting this one,opinions appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German G43 vet bringback,opinions   German G43 vet bringback,opinions  

German G43 vet bringback,opinions   German G43 vet bringback,opinions  

If it were mine I would not shoot it either. A Gustloff BCD coded G-43 is a very tough find. Rarest maker I just read. WaA 749 should be correct and the rifle looks OK to me. I would guard it with my life!! Not going to mention money but am sure value is extremely SUBSTANTIAL! Many thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks mauser I appreciate it!These had some really good stock proofs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German G43 vet bringback,opinions   German G43 vet bringback,opinions  

German G43 vet bringback,opinions  

MAP
    ?

A great piece. I've always wondered, how much the duffle cut affect the value?

I bought an all matching K98 many years ago. Took it home and realized it was a duffle cut. I had it doweled and glued. It's all under the barrel band so you can't see it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP on your k98, under the band is sweet ,I would have had it repaired tool.On this G43 it shows, I am sure it hurts the value ,wish the stock wasnt cut but the rifle probably wouldnt be here at all if the vet hadnt cut it to fit in his duffle bag.Anyway the cut is neatly done,he must have used a bandsaw or hacksaw,maybe had one of his more skilled buddys do it because its not butchered,one neat cut.There are people out there that could repair it very nicely am sure but its a part of its history ,on this one I would rather leave it like it came back.JMO

PRE
    ?

I have many 'duffel-cut' rifles and carbines. Their condition doesn't bother me, and makes a much stronger case for the particular weapon being a veteran bring-back as opposed to a '50s-'60s import. There is only one of them that I repaired, and only because the original repair was done so poorly that it resulted in some stock loss. Otherwise I leave them as-is, recognizing the cut as part of the rifle's history.

Pat

MAP
    ?

Quote by PRE View Post
    I have many 'duffel-cut' rifles and carbines. Their condition doesn't bother me, and makes a much stronger case for the particular weapon being a veteran bring-back as opposed to a '50s-'60s import. There is only one of them that I repaired, and only because the original repair was done so poorly that it resulted in some stock loss. Otherwise I leave them as-is, recognizing the cut as part of the rifle's history.

Pat
    This is how I feel as well. I was never going to shoot it so while I only found out post the purchase, I wasn't too bummed. As noted, on the K98, the cut is under the front barrel band so you couldn't even see it. But it rattled a bit so my friend expertly put a small dowel in and glued it.

And even if I did shoot it, the cut is all the way on the end and wouldn't really affect the rifle too much anyway. Taken down the stock was just a tiny bit too big to fit into a GI's duffel. The GI who cut mine did a great job...LoL. But too bad the GI duffel bags weren't 2 or 3 inches longer...

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

PRE
    ?

That's actually part of the 'myth' of the duffel cuts. While some weapons were no doubt carried home in bags, the cut was done to facilitate the regulations at the time regarding the size of box that could be mailed back to the US. Used boxes, including German 88mm boxes, were utilized, or skilled GIs were also known to fabricate their own boxes using locally 'sourced' materials.

Pat

MAP
    ?

Quote by PRE View Post
    That's actually part of the 'myth' of the duffel cuts. While some weapons were no doubt carried home in bags, the cut was done to facilitate the regulations at the time regarding the size of box that could be mailed back to the US. Used boxes, including German 88mm boxes, were utilized, or skilled GIs were also known to fabricate their own boxes using locally 'sourced' materials.

Pat
    Excellent info. Never knew that!

Great info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast