Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gewehr 98

Article about: I just got home from a local gun show and splurged on another gun I don't know much about the Gewehr 98 (G98) but it really caught my eye and I just couldn't go home without it haha. I'm hop

Also, I noticed this rifle only has three numbers “426” while most other Gewehr98’s have 4 digits and usually a letter. Any reason why this one only has 3? Early batch perhaps?

?

Just a low serial number I think, and the '3' below the serial number indicates a 'Stern-Gewehr' rifle as mentioned in post #6. The stock may have been very lightly sanded but hard to tell from these photos. I have a 1915 Danzig with a S42/K rework. I'll post some photos soon.

Thanks again for the info, and I'd definitly love to see it!

Wondering if the marking or stamping on the stock could be a "unit" marking? Is a very nice rifle chbingle.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Wondering if the marking or stamping on the stock could be a "unit" marking? Is a very nice rifle chbingle.
    There are 2 markings on the stock, one "B" at the bottom, and a "BS" higher up on the stock. I honestly have no idea what they are either, but a unit marking could be a possibility

- - ------- - -

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    There are 2 markings on the stock, one "B" at the bottom, and a "BS" higher up on the stock. I honestly have no idea what they are either, but a unit marking could be a possibility

Also, I've done a little research and have found that the bolt and receiver were originally left unpainted and not originally blued. Would the blueing have been applied when the K98 sight was added in the 30's? Or is there simply no way to tell for sure when it was applied?

CBH
    ?

Beautiful rifle, great to see , so many battle rifles have fallen victim to being cutdown for hunting.
    A sad fate avoided by this lucky survivor , thanks for sharing.

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Beautiful rifle, great to see , so many battle rifles have fallen victim to being cutdown for hunting.
    A sad fate avoided by this lucky survivor , thanks for sharing.
    I have a cut down K98 that was given to my Dad in the 50's to hunt with. Drilled for a scope mount. My Dad said the original owner said it was a "sniper" before it was sporterized.....I have my doubts. But if so a shame...well a shame either way.

As far as the "BS" stamp. While I doubt it, is it possible that they are two separate stamps with no connection? The B seems to be much more pronounced than the "S"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I have a cut down K98 that was given to my Dad in the 50's to hunt with. Drilled for a scope mount. My Dad said the original owner said it was a "sniper" before it was sporterized.....I have my doubts. But if so a shame...well a shame either way.

As far as the "BS" stamp. While I doubt it, is it possible that they are two separate stamps with no connection? The B seems to be much more pronounced than the "S"
    Dang, that's a shame about the K98 being tampered with, but it still has history! I honestly have no idea about the stamp. I am quite baffled on what it's there for honestly

Very nice Gew. Thanks for sharing it. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast