Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906

Article about: Hello folks! Another deact pickup. I got this one as part of the deal for my new P38, and the more I look at it the more I love it. Mausers are known for their craftsmanship, and the Gewehr

Default Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906

Hello folks!

Another deact pickup. I got this one as part of the deal for my new P38, and the more I look at it the more I love it. Mausers are known for their craftsmanship, and the Gewehr 98 is no exception. It was the workhorse of the Imperial German Army and the Reichswehr from 1898 until 1935, when it was superseded by the Kar98K. It was partially replaced by the Kar98AZ carbine in the latter stages of WWI, though it soldiered on in production until 1918.

This one is not perfect, though being over 100 years old you wouldn't expect it to be. The rifle is all-matching apart from the bolt, which itself is fully matched. Though of pre-war manufacture, it is fitted with a post-1916 stock (as indicated by the domed washers in the butt, used for disassembling the bolt). At some point during its life, this rifle must have suffered a breakage to its original stock and been passed on to a Waffenmeister for repairs. The replacement has been force-matched, with the serial number stamped just below the rear sling swivel.

As with WWII German arms, this Mauser is profusely stamped with proof and inspection markings. In this case they are Prussian, as indicated by the small Imperial eagle. Every component is serial numbered, right down to the screws and even the front sight blade. The only oddball component is the rear barrel band, marked '42', presumably replaced when the stock was. The bolt and receiver show the correct white metal finish, while the rear 'lange visier' sight and bayonet lug appear to have been blued, indicating a post-WWI refurbishment as was common with these rifles.

Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906 Gewehr 98 - Erfurt 1906

Regards, B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 07-20-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Nice rifle BB!
    Thanks for sharing.
    John

Very nice Gewehr 98; thanks for sharing.

PRE
    ?

Excellent rifle, congratulations!!

While original, untouched examples will always hold more value, I really prefer the ones that show their history, like this one. Period replacement and repair of parts was completely normal, and is something I like seeing on rifles. They are just more interesting to me at that point, and are in themselves a kind of historical document. Very nice example!

Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    Excellent rifle, congratulations!!

While original, untouched examples will always hold more value, I really prefer the ones that show their history, like this one. Period replacement and repair of parts was completely normal, and is something I like seeing on rifles. They are just more interesting to me at that point, and are in themselves a kind of historical document. Very nice example!

Pat
    I agree wholeheartedly. We collect these things for their history, and what are period repairs and refurbishments if not extra history? You’re getting more bang for your buck, even if the rifle in question is less than ‘perfect’.

B.B.

Another nice score Brodie in short time too! thought I read that the Erfurt rifles were tougher to come by. Not sure how many were produced in that year but I will check and see what I come up with. Another great piece of firearms history to own. Sure built a lot more rugged than my Remington 700 these milsurps. Thanks for sharing and keep the metal parts well protected with a good rust inhibitor oil. Always a pleasure to see.

Looks good. Nice photos too.

B.B,
    I have a 1916 Spandau G98, it is all original including the sling and I have several bayonets including an original saw back. But although a nice to own, (it goes with my Mk1 SMLE) it is, frankly, bloody awful to shoot. The SMLE is fine to shoot and even quite fun with the volley sights on a field firing range, my No4, (1943 Long Branch) is absolutely the best, most fun bolt action rifle I have ever owned but the G98 is just not nice. PPU, Privi Partizan make a very good 7.92mm Round to the exact specification, (their .303 is even better) and at least it is not as unpleasant to shoot as the K98 or indeed the .303 in No5.

When I finally get home instead of being locked up in Isolation at camp I'll post a few pics!

R

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Another nice score Brodie in short time too! thought I read that the Erfurt rifles were tougher to come by. Not sure how many were produced in that year but I will check and see what I come up with. Another great piece of firearms history to own. Sure built a lot more rugged than my Remington 700 these milsurps. Thanks for sharing and keep the metal parts well protected with a good rust inhibitor oil. Always a pleasure to see.
    It’s a good quality rifle, even in neutered condition. It has more of the appearance of a high-end hunting rifle than a military firearm.I handle all my vintage firearms with gloves on, so rust and corrosion shouldn’t be an issue. I may give the white metal parts a coat of Renaissance wax in future to protect it from fingerprints.

B.B.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    B.B,
    I have a 1916 Spandau G98, it is all original including the sling and I have several bayonets including an original saw back. But although a nice to own, (it goes with my Mk1 SMLE) it is, frankly, bloody awful to shoot. The SMLE is fine to shoot and even quite fun with the volley sights on a field firing range, my No4, (1943 Long Branch) is absolutely the best, most fun bolt action rifle I have ever owned but the G98 is just not nice. PPU, Privi Partizan make a very good 7.92mm Round to the exact specification, (their .303 is even better) and at least it is not as unpleasant to shoot as the K98 or indeed the .303 in No5.

When I finally get home instead of being locked up in Isolation at camp I'll post a few pics!

R
    I can’t imagine shooter comfort was a high priority for the designers. As long as it worked and kept on working in field conditions — which I hear it did — they were content with it. I’ve never shot a rifle of any kind, so can’t speak from experience, but I’ve been told the cock-on-open action combined with the straight bolt handle makes repeat firing a tiring experience.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast