Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed

Article about: Just got home from gunshow,found this Enfield 303,all matching including mag,has US property and flaming bomb proofs,looks in ex cond.Anyone have info on what it is?Paid 450.00,did I get hur

Default GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed

Just got home from gunshow,found this Enfield 303,all matching including mag,has US property and flaming bomb proofs,looks in ex cond.Anyone have info on what it is?Paid 450.00,did I get hurt?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed   GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed  

GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed   GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed  

GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed   GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed  

Last edited by Toecutter; 08-30-2020 at 12:00 AM. Reason: text

It started life as a No4 Mk1* rifle, manufactured by Savage Stevens in the United States as part of the Lend Lease agreement. It has subsequently been refurbished to bring it up to No4 Mk3 spec, as indicated by the markings. The 'FTR' stamp stands for 'Full Total Rebuild', and the rebuild appears to have been done in 1952. The 'F' in brackets presumably indicates the rebuild was carried out at ROF Fazakerley, in Liverpool.

As it's an arsenal rebuild, it should be in very good shape, both inside and out.

From good old Wikipedia: ''With the introduction of the No. 4 Mk 2 rifle, the British refurbished many of their No. 4 rifles and brought them up to the same standard as the No. 4 Mk 2. The No. 4 Mk 1 rifles were re-named No. 4 Mk I/2, whilst No. 4 Mk I* rifles that were brought up to Mk 2 standard were renamed No. 4 Mk I/3.''

Regards, B.B.

According to my book guns with the letter C in the serial no. and marked US Property were made by Savage-Stevens. As far as the price with milsurps climbing in value lately I have no idea concerning Enfields lately. Hope this helps a bit.

Small point; FTR is for Factory Through Refurbishment and I believe (stand to be corrected ) that the Savage (US) made rifles were stamped "US Property" originally.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys appreciate it!I thought I found an import mark,but it must be a British cal marking?Here is a better pic of mag,still has the black paint.No import marks has to be a plus.Yeah mech cond is great,will make a good shooter/collector. Heres with the bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed   GUNSHOW today,Enfield buy,non import 1942 info help needed  

Last edited by Toecutter; 08-29-2020 at 11:47 PM. Reason: text

The marking on the muzzle is a BNP (British Nitro Proof) mark. I believe these were added when a rifle was tested prior to being sold onto the civilian market, to indicate the caliber and pressure tolerances of the weapon.

Regards, B.B.

Thanks Brodie!Why are there no import markings on rifle?Was it brought over here before import markings were required?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Thanks Brodie!Why are there no import markings on rifle?Was it brought over here before import markings were required?

Maybe because it is of US manufacture and is stamped "US Property"?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I dont know,all firearms coming into the US from other countries have to be import marked after 1968.

I think you did great for $450 ....here in Jersey they are near $1000
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast