Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed

Article about: All parts are correct as issued,wood matches nice in color.Not a CMP as far as I know.Does it look to be as issued?I know these post ww2 Garands are not as hard to find correct as the ww2 on

Default Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed

Small gunshop find.All parts are correct for ser. no.,wood matches nice in color.Not a CMP as far as I know.Does it look to be as issued?I know these post ww2 Garands are not as hard to find correct as the ww2 ones,but this one is in nice cond.Trigger group and OP rod are correct but not shown.A collector could have replaced some parts but,why do that and sell it for 699.00.ha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed   Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed  

Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed   Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed  

Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed   Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed  

Harrington Richardson M1 Garand find,info needed  

I know more about WWII issue Garands, so my knowledge is going to be based more on that. The receiver is about Feb. 1954, with your barrel at January 1955. For WWII-era, that would be a big time stretch for those to be put together naturally...most of those back then would have only been about 3 to 4 months apart (edit: meaning at the Springfield Armory and Winchester...I know HR didn't produce at that time). Like I said, I'm out of my element on post-war rifles, but I guess that could be possible since it was past a wartime need of putting them together fast for WWII or Korea. The stock is correct for the time period of both the receiver and the barrel. None of my books cover the heat-treat and drawing numbers for post-war, so I can't look up when those certain parts were manufactured. But, really, all the outer components that I see look good. Whether correct-grade 1954/55 or even just mixmatched, I would have picked it up for $700. M1s only keep increasing in value. Assuming the bore's not pitted and rusted, and the muzzle erosion or throat erosion isn't too bad, I'd say you got a good deal.

If you want a group that can pick it down piece-by-piece for you and really let you know what you have, the guys at the the M1 Garand Forum are amazing. They helped me out SO much, and they're very friendly. I'll PM you their link in case you want to get their opinions on it too.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Very nice Garand TC. You would need to do a complete disassembly to see how many parts are original. This one was likely rebuilt but any of these are getting difficult to find and especially for that cheap. You did well.
    John

?

a great piece!

If you just bought this for $700 you did good. Once again a very clean nice example from the TC Armory!

?

Very Nice TC. Semper Fi Phil

Thanks guys appreciate it!LoyalHistorian,where did you find the info on the receiver date?I found some info puts it closer to 55 but hard to exactly pin down.Rescue I dissasembled it and everything looks correct according to the info I can find.

None of my M1 books had the HRA serial number dates, so I had to look it up online. This is where I found it: USRifleCAL30M1.com

Even better if your research puts it closer to '55! That's awesome! I'm telling you, I'm excited for you that you got it for $699! I can't find even a mixmatch Garand around my area for less than $900 or so. You did good!

Thanks!Looked at that website it dosent look right to me.All the websites say ser. no. receiver dates are approx. No one knows exactly when each rifle was made, except H&R.Anyway barrel is close enough to be original IMO,and what are the odds of it being replaced with one that close anyway.There is a website you can type in your ser. no.(mine 5579273) and its supposed to give you a date,tried that and it wouldnt come up,said out of range or something,will keep searching,anyone have Scott Duffs book?

Yeah, I agree...the chances of it getting a replacement barrel that randomly got so close to the receiver range seems small, so it seems likely that it was just the original barrel. I've only got Scott Duff's WWII Garand book. Then the Canfield book I have only lists what H&R's serial number ranges were for their two sets of production, but not the specific month/date of each range broken down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast