Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with BNZ marked K98

Article about: Deciphering these are a bit of a maze to me as my knowledge lies in items outside of historical firearms, any assistance is appreciated.

Default Help with BNZ marked K98

Deciphering these are a bit of a maze to me as my knowledge lies in items outside of historical firearms, any assistance is appreciated.

I know bnz is the code for Steyr and this is a 1943 model, but a bit unclear of what serials should be matching up with what parts.

Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98Help with BNZ marked K98

It's a nice rifle! Have you shot it yet? Idealy all serial numbers should match, but most Kar98K rifles I have seen here in America are not matching. Non-matching rifles sell for lower prices, but are nevertheless, in my opinion, historical and interesting rifles.
    Last edited by Richard2; 09-08-2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote by Richard2 View Post
    It's a nice rifle! Have you shot it yet? Idealy all serial numbers should match, but most Kar98K rifles I have seen here in America are not matching. Non-matching rifles sell for lower prices, but are nevertheless, in my opinion, historical and interesting rifles.
    I have not even purchased it. It's at an estate with:

Two different Type 99 Arisakas, one early and one late
    Mosin Nagant
    French Berthier Mle 1907/15
    Remington Rolling Block .43 Egyptian
    WW1 BSA Co. 1917 SHTLE lll .303 marked England and FTR (so I assume factory restore on that one)
    US Springfield Armory Model #1903 .30-06 with a 1908 manufacture based on serial

The bolt in that is not a K98 bolt

Can you tell what it is?

Looks like a bolt possibly out of a yugo m48 mauser.

I could be wrong on that too because I didn’t think those bolts fit in a k98, the bolt could also be modified for whatever reason, it’s to bent and the bolt handle on k98s aren’t shaved down like this one.

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    Looks like a bolt possibly out of a yugo m48 mauser.

I could be wrong on that too because I didn’t think those bolts fit in a k98, the bolt could also be modified for whatever reason, it’s to bent and the bolt handle on k98s aren’t shaved down like this one.
    If I picked it up for $200 or a bit more would it still be worth it do you think?

For 200$ its definitely worth it in my opinion, but of course if you do pick it up make sure to check that bolt first before ever firing it, headspace etc. or find a original k98 bolt to put in it.

Thanks. What should I be checking for? I have a couple modern firearms but nothing from this era.

Think Goon nailed it on the bolt. Tell the truth for $200 I don't think you could go wrong especially for a shooter. Mix-matched R/Cs are selling for $600-800 often these days. Looks like the stock has been refinished with that glossy look. Check parts for WaA 77 acceptance stampings. Gun has mixed parts but for $200 you would still come out ahead. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast