Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Luger Identification

Article about: Hello everyone, This Luger was passed to me by my father and I'm trying to learn as much about its manufacturer and production date as possible. I've started to review other posting about Lu

?

Default Help with Luger Identification

Hello everyone,

This Luger was passed to me by my father and I'm trying to learn as much about its manufacturer and production date as possible. I've started to review other posting about Lugers and such but I thought I go ahead and post some pictures of mine. I believe that he purchased it at a gun show in the early 1990s. He never spoke much about it but I know that he always wanted one and was finally able to obtain this example late in his life. He once said that he regretted not buying the spare clip (with matching number), which was offered to him for $70. Anyway, Any help with the code marks and numbers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Luger Identification   Help with Luger Identification  

Help with Luger Identification   Help with Luger Identification  

This one was made by Mauser in 1938. Pre-war, they used the S/42 code. On wartime pistols, 1939 onwards, you'll see the code 'byf'. The serial number can be used to narrow the date of production down to the month, but I lack the knowledge to be able to help you with that.

That said, it's an all-matching pistol. The matching magazine is a nice bonus. A shame your father passed on the spare magazine, as that would have truly completed the set. A very nice Luger. One that anyone would be proud to own. Congratulations.

Regards, B.B.

Very nice for sure! Lugers such as this one are bringing big money from collectors these days. Hold onto it for sure. thanks for sharing.

?

Thank you for the information and comments BrodieBartfast and Mauser.9. I do have a couple of questions that maybe you could answer for me. In the third photograph, the symbol near the trigger guard appears to intentionally stamped out....any ideas why? Also, on the barrel there is a bird-like stamp. Is that a Weimar eagle?

Tom

Hello:
    You have an import luger. The Russians and east block countries had a lot of these in storage after WWII. All were captured pieces.
    In the late 80's and 90's century arms and some others imported them back in the USA for sale to the general public. The grips are a give away as to the origin. The stamp out appears to be an import mark. As this was required on these era lugers to get them back in the USA. If you look at the numbers and lettering you can see polish wash. Most of these lugers were reblued as this one appears. Don't get me wrong it is a nice luger. Lugers will always command prices. It appears to be all matching. This is good. Just my thoughts from an old luger man from way back.
    Thanks for sharing.

Jon
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

The marking "2/1001"on the magazine is East German.

Lightbulb

The black plastic grips with circular marking are post-war replacement, frequently associated with East Germany. There is an illustration of this on p.222 of John Walter's 'The Luger Story'.

The bird-like marking on the barrel is the pre-war style of WaffenAmt stamp. In 1939, they switched to straight-winged eagles with swastikas. The pre-war markings are based more off the Reichswehr-style eagle, whereas the wartime ones more closely resemble the Parteiadler.

My own Luger exhibits wartime inspection markings:

Help with Luger Identification

B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 09-01-2018 at 10:58 AM.

?

Thanks everyone! This is great information to have and adds to the history of the piece. Just a few more questions, if I may, and hopefully these want be silly:

Is the symbol near the trigger guard the import symbol (that is stamped out) or is the ping/punch itself the import mark?

What does the 1938 number series represent? A date? Any recommended sources online that may have serial number info that can help with dating?

Would this type of weapon been carried by the East German police or military authority in the post war and how late?

Well, I've got alot of reading to do and need to get my hands on the Luger book previously mentioned. Thanks

The mark near the trigger guard which has been defaced is I think VolksPolizei [VoPo]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Luger Identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with Luger Identification 
    Last edited by Richie B; 10-18-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast