Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with WW2 Mauser K98

Article about: I am looking at , what appears to be an original WW2 Mauser K98 with matching numbers ( except the butt plate). This Byj 41 manufactured rifle is in very good condition and seems to have a n

?

Default Help with WW2 Mauser K98

I am looking at , what appears to be an original WW2 Mauser K98 with matching numbers ( except the butt plate). This Byj 41 manufactured rifle is in very good condition and seems to have a non blued matching bolt (is this common). The unusual part of the rifle is the asterisk type Star stamp above the serial number on the left side. The matching serial number is also stamped on the left side of the butt stock. The stock seems very clean and probably very new or refinished. It does not have the usual “X” Russian Capture mark, and I would like to know if this is something unusual? I was told, by the owner that he was told that it may be from a “Czech factory?”
    I was hoping to get some help as to the authenticity of the rifle and the Waffenamt stamps that most seem quite clear. I am very new to the German Mauser K98.
    If anyone could help with any insight, thoughts or other information about this rifle it is greatly appreciated.

Help with WW2 Mauser K98Help with WW2 Mauser K98Help with WW2 Mauser K98Help with WW2 Mauser K98Help with WW2 Mauser K98
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with WW2 Mauser K98   Help with WW2 Mauser K98  

Help with WW2 Mauser K98   Help with WW2 Mauser K98  

?

Postwar French use?
    Luc

A true full matching rifle is a very hard thing to find these days, and when they do appear they'll be priced to match their rarity.

A white metal bolt would be correct for a WWI-era Gewehr 98, but not for a Kar98k. The bluing is reminiscent of Russian-captured weapons, but then the bolt would be blued as well. The Soviets were indiscriminate when it came to bluing metal parts! The receiver at least appears to be of genuine WWII manufacture, with the correct WaffenAmt number (655) for the date and manufacturer. The serial number on the stock would most likely indicate this isn't a genuine matching rifle. Serial numbers on the stocks of German rifles were not applied externally, but internally, on both the stock itself and the handguard. You have to disassemble the rifle to be able to see them. Serial numbers stamped into the butt were typically applied postwar, either by the Russians or the Yugoslavians when they were refurbished in their respective factories.

B.B.

?

Thanks for the info!

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    A lot of this is going off my knowledge of the guns circulating on the UK deact market. I don't know if the US market is any different, or which countries these rifles have been imported from over the years. Russian- and Yugoslavian-refurbished rifles are common in the UK, other postwar variants not so much, so this may be one of those. Hopefully someone here recognizes it and can be more specific with their info.

B.B.

Looks like a Mitchells Mauser to me with that bolt in the white! Brodie is right on stock serial no. Forced to match. That stock is sure sanded too. Good thing is owning a 1941 dated gun as that year is tougher to come by I have read.

Plus BYF indicates Mauser Oberndorf manufacture not Czech. My guess is still a Mitchell Mauser 98k. How much is he asking if I may inquire without bending the rules here. Hate to see you pay too much. Even Russian Capture 98ks which are mis-matched are commanding high prices nowadays. Supply is drying up quickly than 20 years back.

?

He wants me to make an offer. I told him, I had to do some research. But I think I am going to pull the plug on the deal. After listening to all of you, I don’t think it’s quite what I’m looking for. I think he’s looking for big bucks. I may be wrong.
    Thanks for all of your help.

Well scrubbed for sure. I'm not sure but the front band looks "very" shiny a possible replacement? Not a big bucks deal for me, too much messing about going on here for my liking.

It definitely is a Mitchell’s Mauser. Widely known to be scrubbed refinished and forced stamped to make a “matching” weapon. I bought one 15+ years ago byf 43 that had a three digit SN. I found out many years later this was not correct on closer inspection I could see that the original SN was ground off and a new one applied. I traded it a few years ago as a nice looking shooter not as a collectible for a actual all matching MAS 36. This one looks to be more “original “ than mine was. Perhaps a little doctored but should be a good shooter with a real story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast