Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identification of Detachable, Internal Magazine

Article about: Recently acquired two internal, but 'detachable', ("cassette"?) 4 round rifle magazines as part of a job lot auction purchase. The only markings are ".308" over ".24

Default Identification of Detachable, Internal Magazine

I recently acquired two internal, but 'detachable', ("cassette"?) 4 round rifle magazines as part of a job lot auction purchase.

The only markings are ".308" over ".243" - that's obviously compatible calibre info but no idea of maker or model to which they belong!

Fired .308 cartridge case inserted to help with sense of scale!

I have tried comparing images via Google; Remington Model 70/80 or Browning "A-bolt" 'hits' seem to show some similarities … but nothing conclusive (not knowing exactly what to call this style of mag doesn't help!).

Thus, probably not military issue but I am hoping somebody's wider firearms knowledge will provide me with some insight...

Identification of Detachable, Internal MagazineIdentification of Detachable, Internal Magazine
    Last edited by brickie501; 04-27-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Additional picture added

?

It looks like they are for a Browning BAR Mark 2 rifle....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Post My Collection of Magazines & Related Accessories

Pete,

Many thanks

I like Browning designs so, now I know what they are, they are even more welcome additions

Majority of my collection shown below:

Default Identification of 'Stripper' / 'Loading' Clip

Can anyone help me identify the 'stripper' / 'loading' clip below?

Bought from eBay because it was a) unusual/interesting & b) cheap … it was described as possibly being for 7.62 but seller wasn't sure & I don't recognise it.

Here it is, 2nd from right, along with 7.92 Mauser, 7.62 NATO & .303 clips for comparison:

There are no markings visible.

I have tried 5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 9mm Makarov & 9mm Parabellum rounds from my collection but none of those fit easily. I looks like the smaller rimmed cases should fit but the wire 'spring' inside the clip is too stiff to allow insertion … at least not without seriously scratching my cases; which I am unwilling to do!

From photo below, you can see it would appear to take 10x 9mm sized cartridges:

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

?

It looks like it`s for 7.63x25 mm pistols.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Maybe 7,63 x 25 for the C96 Mauser?

Sorry, just seconds after Zwerge.

Quote by zwerge View Post
    It looks like it`s for 7.63x25 mm pistols.
    Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Maybe 7,63 x 25 for the C96 Mauser?

Sorry, just seconds after Zwerge.
    Thanks zwerge & ziomanno! A bit of 'googling' of that cartridge generally comes up with (logically enough) a 'Mauser' style clip for the C96 (longer version of the K98 "Ladestreifen") ... is there a particular weapon / user / producer that uses this style? Can you point me to any photos etc?

Sorry, I don’t... But for what I know there are only a couple of pistols having a 10 rounds internal magazine, check also the Roth Steyr M1907, in 8x19 mm

?

I think that this charger is for the French MAT 49 SMG in 7.62x25 Tokarev,which was in use by the NVA in Vietnam after the French left,it was used with a separate mag loader on top of the mag. for the 20 round clip.See photo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of Detachable, Internal Magazine  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Need help! Identification of non-STANAG 'AR-15' Magazine

Thought I would re-use this thread again (perhaps a Mod could rename it "Need help! Identification of Unknown Firearms Components" please ), as I have another challenge for all you firearms experts out there if you would be so kind!

I received two unmarked "AR" mag 'shells' as part of a recent job lot purchase. I assumed they were just normal AR-15 mags but in steel. However, on closer examination, there are a number of differences...

The items in question are the two on the right in this picture. Please ignore the Sabre Defence baseplate for identification purposes, those were a separate purchase for parts. A standard USGI AR-15 mag is shown below (far left) for comparison:

As you may be able to make out, the profile of the feed lips is different & they are, in fact, just a little shorter than usual. This is slightly more obvious in the picture below - the unknown models are the ones on the right of each similarly orientated 'pair':

Standard AR-15 baseplates fit (Phew!) but I cannot find any followers in my collection that will operate in them - neither original Colt, SA80 (A1, A2 'blank' or standard steel A2) nor MagPul PMag components will work. Probably the closest match is the metal SA80 A2 follower (HK design) but they won't go in because the baseplate 'lugs' get in the way - they might if the follower's anti-tilt 'legs' were shorter, but I'm not prepared to cut any of mine down to test!

My best guess so far is that these are modified magazines for a re-chambered / large bore AR-15 conversion? The four holes near the top edge are fairly distinctive but, despite doing some Googling for images of such things, I cannot find a positive identification.

I would like to complete them if possible so any help in identifying them (/ what components might work) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-11-2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Component Compatibility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast