Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll

Article about: This is a late war p38 made by Mauser late in 1944.The war wasnt going well for Germany,Mauser introduced the cheaper quicker phosphate finish.And the blueing vats were getting over used and

Default Interesting late war P38,war took its toll

This is a late war p38 made by Mauser late in 1944.The war wasnt going well for Germany,Mauser introduced the cheaper quicker phosphate finish.And the blueing vats were getting over used and weaker as chemicals were drying up.This has a phosphate slide and frame with blued barrel.You can see under bright light /camera flash ,the weaker blueing solution produced more of a plumb brown color.This "dual tone"P38 as collectors call it are collectable with the late war guys.Gun shoots ex,so only function was the priority,finish was not..Actually these will bring more than an all blued nicer finish,the Germans would never have imagined that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  
    Last edited by Toecutter; 09-12-2020 at 05:47 AM.

?

Still nice, ugly coloring though..

MAP
    ?

Never seen one like this. Nice pick up
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting!! I've never heard about these before.

Yeah only Mauser used this finish on p38s.Walther used it on k43s and mauser and a few others on k98s late in the war.A camera flash really shows the contrast in finish, or outside in bright sunlight better.Have bought several of these p38s back in the day ,advertised as very worn slide and frame ,ha. made out like a bandit,sellers didnt know about the phosphate variation.Knowledge is power.

I'd be a bit scared to shoot it!
    off the point- when I was a youngster with my K98, I had an old fella (when I was buying '56 Israeli surplus MG ammo for it) ask me the date of MFG, told him it was DOU '42, he said "good because the late war stuff was made from crap low grade metal that could fragment/shatter from the pressure"

Rene,the Germans made good stuff,even late in the war,from what I have heard,it was just the finish that took a big hit!This p38 shoots great with modern ammo,german ammo was much hotter.Even very late war k98 Mauser actions are stronger than some made today,thats why they sporterized so many and used them for hunting rifles over here.I have never heard of one blowing up but never say never.ha Some of the late Japanese rifles I wouldnt want to shoot

Cheers Mate, the finish reminds me of the "Grey Ghost '45 Bayo

Very interesting finish with that pistol TC. I'm sure every serious P38 collection would need one!

?

What a cool and rare gun! I’ve seen the MP44 well documented with this late war mixed finish, but never a P38. Congrats, a very desirable piece. I presume it is a deact?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast