Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

It's been awhile since I got my Carcano M38. Now I'm thinking Mausers. What're some good suggestions?

Article about: I've got the M38 Carcano, with a sling and bayonet on the way. Now I'm thinking about what's next. My mind goes to Mausers because of all the different varieties, and I've found myself looki

Default It's been awhile since I got my Carcano M38. Now I'm thinking Mausers. What're some good suggestions?

I've got the M38 Carcano, with a sling and bayonet on the way. Now I'm thinking about what's next. My mind goes to Mausers because of all the different varieties, and I've found myself looking at a couple. Specifically a Czech Vz. 24 Mauser in 8mm. Does anyone know how good these rifles are? Or what other Mausers I should go about getting? I usually get a helmet to go along with the rifle, so I'm trying to balance costs so I don't break the bank. Still a college kid after all.

Also, here's the Carcano I got if anyone's interested. A vet bring-back, taken straight from Northern Italy, industrial markings and all. I only have one picture at the moment (I know it's not the best quality photo) but if interested I can get more. It's in pretty good condition!

It's been awhile since I got my Carcano M38. Now I'm thinking Mausers. What're some good suggestions?

Well if your trying to not break the bank and accumulate a collection of of different varieties of of the same basic action (ie all Mauser or Carcano or Enfield) without breaking the bank then Mauser is not the way to go lol. Carcano is a good starting point they made quite a few varieties and will keep out busy for a while and they can still be found for good prices. Carcanos have somewhat of a bad rep in the US for being a crap gun but I’ve not found anything to really back that stigma up. I only have the M1891 made 1917 and haven’t fired it but know quite a few folks that are very pleased with their Carcanos function and accuracy.

Hope this helps a bit. Biggest thing with weapons is research research research! Little details = big price difference sometimes.

Yep mausers will set you back quite a bit these days. In fact most milsurps have gone up considerably. Might want to mosey on over to k98k form if interested in mausers. Won't cost ya a dime for great info.

I was told Mausers were fun to shoot, and that 8mm ammo was more plentiful to come by then say Carcano ammo, which is why I was drawn to Mausers. I've seen Mosins but in my area, they go for around $400. At that price I can buy a cheap Mauser, so I figured I come here and ask. Specifically, the Czech Vz.24 Mauser has some interesting engravings and metalwork so that also interested me. In reality, I just want a fun classic bolt action to shoot and I can't decide which one to go for.

- - ------- - -

Will do! Thank you!

PRE
    ?

Czech Mausers are exceedingly well made, every bit as finely crafted as a K98k. They are (still) relatively unappreciated and can be had for $350-550, depending on condition, matching numbers, etc.

The M24/47 Yugoslavian Mausers available now were once Model 1924 Mausers of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, and are also very well built. Because they're not as popular and because their pre-war markings were scrubbed by the communist government in the post-war period, they have remained very approachable in price.

Turkish Mausers don't have the history associated with them that European Mausers do, but they are fun to shoot and generally less expensive than European Mausers. South American Mausers are extremely well made, and some have an interesting history, although not a history of the World Wars.

Nice looking Carcano. Enfield's might be a good option as they will not break the bank and helmets will also not break the bank. There are a lot of good options and history with them.
    John

?

I am partial to MAUSERS!

If you want a shooter a mix-matcher is the way to go. Ran through some surplus ammo with a 44 BYF which is about the most common code years back. Bought it so I could get the shooting experience. Have my dad's bringback only now. No I have never fired it as it matches including bolt. Would bother me if the stock cracked on a $2000-3000 98k just a bit!!!!