Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find

Article about: Late 44 M1 carbine,has adjustable sight and bayo lug.Mag was loaded with ww2 ammo,has mag pouch and sling.I think they were transitioning to the upgraded rear site and adding a bayo lug late

Default Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find

Dont know if any carbine guys out there but this is a late 44 M1 carbine,has adjustable sight and bayo lug.Mag was loaded with ww2 ammo,has mag pouch and sling.I think they were transitioning to the upgraded rear site and adding a bayo lug late in ww2.The sight is staked in 2 places,could this be a correct carbine?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find   Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find  

Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find   Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find  

Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find   Late M1 carbine with ww2 ammo gunshop find  

Last edited by Toecutter; 03-03-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Very nice to see a 44 made one with the bayo lug Thank you!

MAP
    ?

It's my understanding that all bayo lugs were added post war. But happy to be corrected
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I was always under the impression the bayonet lugs were post war too. I may be a bit fuzzy, but i think the round-top bolt (versus flat-top) were generally late/ post war as well. It looks like you have the WWII style stock though! I know the pot belly stocks are generally considered korean war era

MAP
    ?

Here is some info. I'm sure the guys who collect these know this info cold...I had to look

M1 Bayo lug - M14 Forum
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice rifle Toecutter! You have an impressive firearm collection to be sure.

The carbine looks really good. The rear adjustable sight is a type 2 milled site which is want you want in the adjustable sight. The receiver is a early 44 production and the barrel in late which is not a problem barrels and receivers can be correct and be 6 months off. The type 3 band could be correct for this late 44 rifle but I would like to see the trigger housing and other part manufacturer markings to determine if the rifle went through a rebuild. If all the parts are inland it would original or a corrected rifle.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Forgot to add the stock is an inland and is a type 3 low wood with the correct 4 hole front hand guard.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Bayo to fit speculation also on this type of bayo.

From that forum posted above:

Inland started putting type 3 barrel bands with bayonet lugs on after serial number 6,700,000. This would put this type band with bayo lug on Inlands last 2 serial number blocks they were issued. Figure Oct/Nov 1944 as a stating time. Bands would be stamped with one of the following...AI, KI, SI, UI, H.I., or JI.

Winchester started them after serial number 6,475,000. This would put them in thier last 2 serial number blocks. Roughly same time line. Winchester bands would either be marked with a C or a W.

Quality Hardware also made some type 3 bands, they were marked MMQ on the band and EM-Q on the bayo lug. However, they were used on post-war carbine rebuilds.

There is no record at all of any of the other manufacturers having used the type 3 band and bayo lug at all. Hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast