Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield help please

Article about: Can anyone identify which model this is please and would it have been ww2 period, thanks

Default Lee Enfield help please

Can anyone identify which model this is please and would it have been ww2 period, thanks Lee Enfield help pleaseLee Enfield help pleaseLee Enfield help pleaseLee Enfield help please

not sharp on this subject! U maybe for South Africa?

Cheers bud I'm sure someone will know.

A nice-looking SMLE Mk III. It has the first pattern cocking piece, so it's of WWI origin, but could have been refurbished postwar, as many of them were. I'd say it has been going on the condition of the woodwork. The date and manufacturer's markings will be on the collar beneath the bolt handle.

B.B.

Cheers buddy so every chance of it being used after a re work.

I think it’s an Australian No1 MkIII. Post a pictue of the right side of the action. If there is a mag cut off it’s a Mk III no mag cut off it’s a Mk III*. As BB said you will get manufacture, model and date under the bolt handle on the metal collar. You can also lift the piece of the stock just forward of the receiver there you will find all your proof marks and when the weapon was assembled.

I say I think it’s Australian because the D prefix on the SN is March ‘43 on Lithgow Enfields. The Australians also used both types of cocking pieces during WWII

?

Is it all new wood? Looks like a bitza which is very commom with dealers these days now the value of SMLE has gone up. Happy to be persauaded other wise.

Nice rifle. The stock looks lightly sanded but a pic of the proof markings in the wood will tell the story. I would also guess Australian made.
    John