Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Garand project

Article about: Heres one of my recent projects. My recent venture in my collecting has become to build my own rifles. This is a functioning M1 Garand I built from a Danish (Breda) receiver, new criterion b

?

Default M1 Garand project

Heres one of my recent projects. My recent venture in my collecting has become to build my own rifles. This is a functioning M1 Garand I built from a Danish (Breda) receiver, new criterion barrel (30-06), reproduction walnut stock that I finished with linseed oil, and the rest are USGI parts mostly from Springfield Armouries. Now I'm on the lookout for a WW2 issue bayonet and I'm planning on purchasing a new Turner sling.

Although it's not an original WW2 issue my plan is to keep it true to the original issued rifles. I would have liked to purchase an original but they sell in the 2500$ range for a fair condition one and as high as 5000$ in excellent condition which are hard to find. Plus the enjoyment of building your own rifle was very satisfying. Prices on M1s has soared in canada after our recent ban on firearms, the M1 is one of the few semi autos in canada that's non restricted and can posses more than 5 rounds in the magazine. Unfortunately the more modern M14s were caught up in the ban so my plan to build one has now been brought to a halt. If any fellow Canadian or American collectors know of any good builds let me know, I'm on the lookout for a new project. Been debating restoring a 1903 Springfield as I've been recently seeing alot of bubba'd rifles and parts come up for sale in my area.

M1 Garand projectM1 Garand projectM1 Garand project

Sorry to hear about your new ban on some guns. I’m glad you can still have Garands. It’s appropriate since John Garand was from Canada. Your rifle looks very nice.

That's a sweet looking rifle

Nice looking build! Bummer on the ban on guns.
    That might be coming to the US soon with the idiot coming into office along with his anti-gun agenda.

I would build an 03 or a 03A3 if you are able to find parts. Parts are getting much harder to find in my area. I have a NOS 5-42 Date barrel for a 1903 if you are looking for an original barrel
    John

PRE
    ?

Nice job, congratulations! A perfect choice for a rifle that spanned both US and Canadian service, in the form of the 1st Special Service Brigade.