Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M14 US rifle,look good?

Article about: Before you get too excited,its a Federal Odanance build,but they sure got the look right!Stock is an original Vietnam era fiberglass.This stock had the full auto slot filled in.Fed Ord used

Default M14 US rifle,look good?

Before you get too excited,its a Federal Odanance build for the commercial market,but they sure got the look right!Stock is an original Vietnam era fiberglass.This stock had the full auto slot filled in.Fed Ord used GI parts and later on some Chinese bolts.They have been out of business for many years.Rifle shoots great,semi auto 308 cal.Paid 650.00 several years ago,couldnt afford the real deal and didn't want to get a full auto license anyway.This fills the bill ,for now,ha!Mag pouch and mags are original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M14 US rifle,look good?   M14 US rifle,look good?  

M14 US rifle,look good?   M14 US rifle,look good?  

By far the best, most reliable all purpose military rifle ever. Although the SLR was pretty good as well.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    By far the best, most reliable all purpose military rifle ever. Although the SLR was pretty good as well.
    I have always liked the "look" of the M14 but sadly never got to fire one. However, "Rifle 7.62mm L1A1";
    Now it may be the way I was trained but when I handle one now it still feels like part of my body and was an absolute pleasure to fire. Also comforting to have a rifle that was certain to make the target "sit down and think" even if only wounded.

Back to topic; That does look the part TC and I wish I could have a live example even a commercial build. I had no idea that fibreglass furniture was used in VN, I would have sworn they were wooden.
    Everyday is a schoolday here!
    Thanks for posting.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-19-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Of course it looks great TC! I refuse to believe you have anything in your collection that doesn’t look great.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I have always liked the "look" of the M14 but sadly never got to fire one. However, "Rifle 7.62mm L1A1";
    Now it may be the way I was trained but when I handle one now it still feels like part of my body and was an absolute pleasure to fire. Also comforting to have a rifle that was certain to make the target "sit down and think" even if only wounded.

Back to topic; That does look the part TC and I wish I could have a live example even a commercial build. I had no idea that fibreglass furniture was used in VN, I would have sworn they were wooden.
    Everyday is a schoolday here!
    Thanks for posting.

Regards

Mark
    Great looking rifle and i too thought they were wood. I put a few rounds through an SLR at a shooting range in Krakow, it was good fun.

Thanks guys!Yeah most M14 stocks were wood,but in Viet Nam the humid wet conditions caused the wood stocks to swell and rot.They went to fiberglass at some point and it cured the problem.The M16 didnt have a wood stock so not a problem.Early m16 stocks were fiberglass with impregnated resin,later ones a Du Pont polimer.

Looks just like the one Richard Nixon let me use for three years.

I know the theory behind 5.56mm being more effective, but 7.62mm, (.308) puts an enemy down first time and they stay down! Always had my vote and still gets it now. Mind you as im still in the game the youngsters do think I'm a dinosaur!

PRE
    ?

* Delete *

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I know the theory behind 5.56mm being more effective, but 7.62mm, (.308) puts an enemy down first time and they stay down! Always had my vote and still gets it now. Mind you as im still in the game the youngsters do think I'm a dinosaur!
    Exactly.

Two examples of ND (Negligent discharge);

Both in Fallingbostel with 7 Armd Bde circa 1990 within a period of about a month..

Both cases one soldier accidently shot another from less than 2m.

1. REME troops from 7 ARMD WKSP equipped with the 7.62mm SLR

2. 1 STAFFORDS troops equipped with 5.56mm SA80.

Result;

1. REME bloke critical injury and unconcious. Long term recovery and medical downgrading.

2. STAFFORDS bloke walking wounded, shock, minor operation, full recovery within two months.

Not precise science I admit but I know which rifle I would rather be up against.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast