Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)

Article about: Hi everyone, I have to admit it is rare that I frequent this part of WRF however I was hoping that you may be able to help me with some information on the below telescopic sight. I acquired

Default M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)

Hi everyone,

I have to admit it is rare that I frequent this part of WRF however I was hoping that you may be able to help me with some information on the below telescopic sight.

I acquired it about 3 years ago from a chap who had it attached to his .22 rifle and used it to keep the rabbits down in his garden near Ballater. Well one day he put his rifle down jumped in his car and ran over it wrecking the rifle. He was going hand the rifle and sight over to the police for disposal and I asked if I could have the sight thinking that it looked old and vagauly military. If the photos are a bit blurred the plate says

TELESCOPE M73B1
    Stock no 7579931
    serial no

Any info on the sight will be gratefully received.

M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)

Default Re: M73B1 Telescope ( Telescopic sight)

This is a scope for the US 1903/A4 Springfield Rifle...3 years ago one of these sold on Ebay for $510.00...A great score, friend!
    cheers, Glenn

Great find!!!!
    How clear is it and what cross hair does it have??
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks for the replies, The clarity is good you could easily shoot with it. The cross hair is pretty much what it says, one vertical line ( 12 - 6 o'clock ) crossed at its midway point by a horizontal line ( 3-9 o'clock ).

Im rather ashamed to say it has been languishing in a box of bits in my garage since I got it. It was only the tread on sniper rifles that made me think ' that looks like the one in the garage '.

Hello Robin,

Certainly appears you have a well preserved and looked after bit of glass; a military version of the Weaver 330, which Glenn is absolutely right in stating was the first adopted for the US Army's '03A4 Springfield. The mount, however, is a recent addition to it.

-Scharfschütze

Thanks you just confirmed what I thought regarding the mount. That said the patina on both is pretty consistant so I think they have been together for a while.

CBH
    ?

That type of cross hair is referred to as post and bar , was popular in WWII scopes . The say it is easier to pick up in low light conditions . Nice scope .
    Cheers Chris

Robin,

I agree they seem to have seen some distance together. Are you considering parting with it?

-Scharfschütze

Hi Scharfschutze. In answer to your question probably yes, nice though it is,it doesn't fit into my collecting interests. I only retrieved it because it looked old and I didn't want to see it destroyed along with the damaged rifle it was attached to.

Good score!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast