Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mannlicher 1886 obsolete rifle

Article about: Since the weather is great today thought I would share some photos of my only obsolete gun in my collection This is a mannlicher 1886 rifle. Firing an 11mm black powder cartridge these were

?

Default Mannlicher 1886 obsolete rifle

Since the weather is great today thought I would share some photos of my only obsolete gun in my collection

This is a mannlicher 1886 rifle. Firing an 11mm black powder cartridge these were only in service for 2 years since France introduced their smokeless 8mm rounds which made this rifle obsolete. Hence why they were quickly surplussed. A lot of these ended up in Chile which is where I suspected my example came from. As it has some markings denoting that.

A lot of these are/were for sale in the U.K. as obsolete meaning the round used it is either super hard to come by or just bad by modern standards I suppose. So it is spared the de ac process. My example is in pretty good shape. The straight pull action is smooth ( my dad taught me all the rifle cleaning methods) and I removed all the dirt off the stock and applied some raw linseed oil. For a 130+ year old item it had held up well!

I do have a clip and dummy rounds I can cycle through but they are in a little box somewhere so they ain’t in this photo shoot.

Overall obsolete firearms are pretty fun. Nice to be able to strip and clean and cycle through dummy ammo compared to de ac examples.

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers
    John

?

Nice rifle! I would like to see the dummy cartridges and clip if you can find them......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

CBH
    ?

Nice find, you just need a bayonet now.
    Here’s a good video about the history of these.
    Small Arms of WWI Primer 038: Austro-Hungarian Mannlicher 1886 to 1888-90 - YouTube

Nice! Blackpowder cartridge rifles interest me a lot. The bore looks very good for an old rifle used with blackpowder. It looks like the soldiers who were issued this rifle took good care of it.

?

I rely like it!!