Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MAS 36 Identification

Article about: Hey guys, its been a while since I last posted on this forum. I just recently got a MAS 36, and I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. The serial number on the gun is 62660, with wh

Default MAS 36 Identification

Hey guys, its been a while since I last posted on this forum. I just recently got a MAS 36, and I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. The serial number on the gun is 62660, with what I think is an M suffix. Its mostly matching, but that doesnt matter much cause I just wanted a shooter example.

Ill have pictures posted bellow.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Ronan
    MAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 IdentificationMAS 36 Identification

Alright. Thanks. Could anybody explain the M suffix at all??

It is part of the serial number. Looks like an N to me but I have always had difficulty reading the old French Script. M & N series are probably only separated a 3 months.
    John

Yeah its definatly an N. Camera wont pick it up that well. Does that signify
    a date??

*Defiantly NOT an N I meant!!!!!

- - ------- - -

Its a M

MAP
    ?

Nice rifle. I've always liked the way these looked. Can't help with your question though.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Haha, well I appreciate it MAP. I guess we'll have to wait and see what other people have to say

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jimmeelegs View Post
    Haha, well I appreciate it MAP. I guess we'll have to wait and see what other people have to say
    Many people say they are ugly. I've always liked the way they look. Always wanted to pick one up. Just never a top priority...which means I never will probably get one.

It is certainly an M and not an N. Take a look at this link.

Pq29l8 TS ba8baee65c7a281da4faf0471d026339 — Postimages

Here is a good discussion on the prefix letters. Sounds like the M prefix is somewhere from late 1944 to 1950.

MAS 36 serial number? | Gun and Game Forum

And here is a similar but slightly different quote from a different forum. Looks like the guy above copied it

"Serial number prefixes F, G, H, J, K, and L up to 45XX were all pre-war made. In 1945, the French restarted where they left off in June of 1940 ... L4600, the rest of the L series were manufactured in either 1945 or 1946. M, N, P,and Q were finished off by 1950. "
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Alright, Thanks for the info. I would have to assume that its late to post war with its high serial numbers....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast