Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A Mauser 98k with a interesting history

Article about: Hey guys, I took these pictures and originally posted them on gunboards and now this rifle is going to be Post war K98k of week over there, but I thought I'd show them here. This rifle was o

Default A Mauser 98k with a interesting history

Hey guys, I took these pictures and originally posted them on gunboards and now this rifle is going to be Post war K98k of week over there, but I thought I'd show them here. This rifle was originally in 7.92x57 but it was made for the Swedish and they re chambered it for 8x63MM, it was then called the M40. They kept it until about 1948 or 1950 and sold it to Israel and was most likely used in some of the independence wars. In 1957 it was re chambered to 7.62 NATO. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. I should say that the only matching part on this is the bolt body, which has been with this rifle it's entire service life

Take care

George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Mauser 98k with a interesting history   A Mauser 98k with a interesting history  

A Mauser 98k with a interesting history   A Mauser 98k with a interesting history  

A Mauser 98k with a interesting history   A Mauser 98k with a interesting history  

Default Re: A Mauser 98k with a interesting history

The Swedish rifles were meant as AT weapons-the 8mm round was the most powerful ever used in a military infantry rifle and they were fitted with muzzle brakes-virtually no original examples remain as the Swedes sold them off and as stated they were converted back to 7.92 and 7.62 mm by the Israelis.
    Cudos on getting a rarer and well travelled rifle there.

Thanks lighglow, I think there's a collector in Sweden who has a couple of these, one a M40, and the other a M39. I wish I could find a unconverted one here in the States but I doubt I ever will. Such an awesome looking rifle with it's muzzlebreak on it

The old warrior has definitely been on a trip around the world. The tales it could tell,hey? As you say-an interesting rifle! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks William! I bet this thing could write an entire book. It shoots like a dream too!