Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mauser Kar98k information needed!

Article about: Hello all! I was searching on the net for some nice pictures of a Kar98k that i need... As i was sitting there and watching these beauties i saw some of these rifles without the metal button

Default Mauser Kar98k information needed!

Hello all!

I was searching on the net for some nice pictures of a Kar98k that i need... As i was sitting there and watching these beauties i saw some of these rifles without the metal button on the stock behind the strap clip!

Did some of these made without the button hole due to simplify reasons near the end of the war or their woods were restored after the war by some collector or something?

Thanks for your time people!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mauser Kar98k information needed!   Mauser Kar98k information needed!  

The 'metal button' is a built in tool to break down the bolt. Earlier rifles had it in the stock. Later rifles, as metal became scarce, moves it to the actual butt plate and i think it was finally done away with just before the end of the war. The first photo is probably a 1944 rifle as they have no bolt tool in the stock but if you look closely, theres a hole in the butt plate. The last rifle is called a kriegsmodell and if you look, it has no place for the bayonet to be attached. The second photo is probably a russian capture as it appears to have mixed parts from both early and late war rifles - an early war butt plate with a late war stock.

Thank you very much mate! The knowledge in this forum never stops to impress me!

You're welcome! And me too actually. I'm new here and it seems to be a very friendly place. No 'know-it-alls' or stuck up kind of people.

If you're planning to buy, I'd go with #1 or #3

I have 2 98ks; a '38 and a '43 and you can see some differences between them.

Thanks for the information. I always wondered about this myself, the "metal button". Great info~!

It was also used to lock the rifles in the rack. A metal rod went through the K98's and could be locked at the Kazerne.

Quote by wharfrat57 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I always wondered about this myself, the "metal button". Great info~!
    No problem, love to help!