Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG42 relic restoration

Article about: hi folks i just bought this very relic MG42 from latvia and wanted to have a go at restoring it to a little less rusty condition. i'd like to get the top cover moving and fit a relic barrel

Default MG42 relic restoration

hi folks

i just bought this very relic MG42 from latvia and wanted to have a go at restoring it to a little less rusty condition. i'd like to get the top cover moving and fit a relic barrel into the sleeve. maybe find a butt and new pistol grips. not sure if it's going to work out or just crumble to dust but it's worth a gamble. i'll put up some pics as i go along and let you know how i get on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG42 relic restoration   MG42 relic restoration  

Respect your efforts eddy but some serious elbow grease and newer parts sorely needed to make it look respectable. Still an awesome piece of history to own.

I would just remove the rust and treat the metal and leave it as it is.

Looks a bit too far gone for an ambitious restoration. But with rust treated and mounted on a wood panel it would make an interesting wall hanging.

Oxalic may help neutralise the rust - and heat ( via a torch ) will free up the rusted hinge but don't be surprised if it does fall apart .....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

For your info, D and B militaria have relic MG 42 barrels MG42 Barrel - Battlefield Relic (one only) ^ - Relics

thanks guys, don't get me wrong i know it will never be a restored gun but it would be interesting to end up with a sort of hybrid deac/live weapon. one you can strip down to it's component parts but is still not classed a s a firearm or i might end up with a bucket of rust

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    thanks guys, don't get me wrong i know it will never be a restored gun but it would be interesting to end up with a sort of hybrid deac/live weapon. one you can strip down to it's component parts but is still not classed a s a firearm or i might end up with a bucket of rust
    Stay positive while you attempt it.... At the worst case scenario it might end up a bucket of Mg42 rust - not any old rust!

Cheers,
    Steve