Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MP40 serial number location.

Article about: I have an Erma (ayf) MP40 apparently built in early '41. On the back of the receiver is stamped MP40 41 ayf. Near that is a four-digit number. Is that the official number, or is the official

SmackD
    ?

Default MP40 serial number location.

I have an Erma (ayf) MP40 apparently built in early '41. On the back of the receiver is stamped MP40 41 ayf. Near that is a four-digit number. Is that the official number, or is the official number listed elsewhere?
    Thanks

Default Re: MP40 serial number location.

That is the serial number.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: MP40 serial number location.

The recognized serial number for the MP 40 is on the left hand side of the receiver just above the magazine port. While a serial number is also on the rear of the weapon that is not the serial number of the MP 40 that is recognized unless it also matches the serial number on the receiver tube. I have seen many mismatched MP 40's here in the US and many parts kits with the serial number on the rear lower end cap but the serial number that is recognized by the BATFE is the one on the receiver tube not the one that is on end cap of the butt stock assembly unless as I said it is the same as on the receiver tube. That end cap can be easily removed from the MP 40 lower and put on another MP 40 that was contraband. I have a BNZ MP 40 and 2 parts kits complete with the exception of the receiver tube which have been torched cut in 3 place one of the cuts right through the tubes serial number .