Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery MG 42

Article about: Hello everybody, i am in search of more info on this MG 42. According to deactivation papers its manufactered by Mauser and has serial number 01. But on the gun i cannot find any marks to pr

Default Mystery MG 42

Hello everybody, i am in search of more info on this MG 42. According to deactivation papers its manufactered by Mauser and has serial number 01. But on the gun i cannot find any marks to proof it was. Also almost all other stamps and codes are missing on the gun. It looks to me the bipod is post war MG3 or so and the buttstock looks like MG53 to me. But not sure, not an expert!
    Barrel is coded dfb and the handle bpr so those look like their manufactered in ww2. The receiver only has 01 marked on it.
    Could anyone please shine a light on what i really got here?
    Thank you very much in advance!!
    Cheers, Bram Meijer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery MG 42   Mystery MG 42  

Mystery MG 42   Mystery MG 42  

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello, do you have Waffenamt on this piece ?

Mystery MG 42
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

It looks like it is at least partially made up of original MG42 parts. The barrel change door is secured by a screw and not with a rivet as it would be with a postwar Yugoslavian M53. The stock looks like it might be from an M53, with the black paint and light-coloured wood beneath.

The serial number is certainly not the original German one. It looks as if the left back end of the receiver might have been ground or sanded. Are there any signs at all of the remains of original markings underneath?

As Lebus has already stated, any original parts will have WaffenAmt markings on them, and some parts will have a three-letter manufacturer’s code too. Hope this helps.

B.B.

Default Waffenamt

Took a closer look, there is a faint marking...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery MG 42   Mystery MG 42  

?

It could be doubble striked WaA eagle, the 01 could be teoretically a postwar east GDR code of Suhl facility? The color of blueing speaks for postwar refurbishment.

Default More pics

Found some more codes and stamps....

Looks like this is a legitimate MG 42 for the most part! The maker marking on the barrel, 'dfb', is for Gustloff-Werke. 'cof' on the buffer release is for Carl Eickhorn of Solingen. Most of the smaller parts of the MG 42 were farmed out to subcontractors, with the guns being fully assembled by the parent maker.

Are there any markings on the bipod? It looks like a postwar one, but it's worth looking. Also, is it possible to open the gun up and look at some of the internal parts?

B.B.

Quite the gun for the time. Think Werner Gruner in the development. Could really spray some lead.

I will check the bipod tomorrow for markings. I is unfortunately impossible for me to open the gun up.
    Thanks all for the info! Much appreciated!!
    Cheers, Bram

Quote by BramMeijer View Post
    I will check the bipod tomorrow for markings. I is unfortunately impossible for me to open the gun up.
    Thanks all for the info! Much appreciated!!
    Cheers, Bram
    That’s a shame, but at least it appears your gun is mostly original. If you could find a replacement for the stock and possibly the bipod, you’ll have an all-original gun.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast