Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need identification on a musket

Article about: Hello everyone, I found this musket and I need opinions. The seller doesn't know anything about it and doesn't see any markings, what do you think?. He fixed the price in 450\\$. Thank you for

Default Need identification on a musket

Hello everyone, I found this musket and I need opinions. The seller doesn't know anything about it and doesn't see any markings, what do you think?. He fixed the price in 450$. Thank you for your answers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need identification on a musket   Need identification on a musket  

Need identification on a musket   Need identification on a musket  

Need identification on a musket   Need identification on a musket  

Seems pricey for what appears to be a cut down musket. You need a close up photo of the lock plate as there seems to be a mark.

I can't identify it, unfortunately. It looks to me to be genuinely old, as opposed to an artificially aged reproduction. It's really not possible for me to tell from a photo, so don't assume I am correct.

The bayonet looks strange, I have never seen one mounted with the spike over the barrel; usually the spike is to the side. Is there a bayonet lug, and if so, where on the barrel is the bayonet lug, top or bottom? I'm wondering if the seller put a bayonet with a socket that approximately fits the barrel on the musket, but it is really not made for it. The fourth photo from the top shows some holes in the lockplate that would not be necessary on a new-made percussion musket, but may have been used in attaching the frizzen and spring on a flintlock. It may have originally been a flint gun and converted to percussion. I would expect a military gun to have some markings on it, and the fact that this one does not leads me to believe it is a civilian model. The ramrod also does not look military; I would expect a larger head on a military ramrod. Although, if there actually is a bayonet lug on the barrel, that would indicate it is military.

To sum up, I don't know what it is. If I were to make a guess, I would guess a civilian gun converted about 1840 to 1870.

The seller says the musket measure 112 cm.

The seller sent me this marking on the bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need identification on a musket  

Markings on the lockplate. It seems a shield with a crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need identification on a musket 

I would run away from that one! How can the seller justify a price that high?

The trigger guard and side plate have French parentage. The trigger and the lockplate (two lines) seem German/Dutch. The stock (cheek hollow) looks Dutch. The ramrod is probably borrowed from a Chassepot rifle. The proofmark is too worn to identify, but could be Culemborg in The Netherlands.

The conversion to percussion was not done by an arsenal, but most likely by the village blacksmith.

I advise you to buy an original unaltered musket. Price is way too high for this thing.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 11-23-2021 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

?

yes, run, run, run.

Good advice!!! I would not offer a nickel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast