Article about: looks like something from warhammer

?

Default An Old Cannon

Anybody recognize this old cannon ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old Cannon  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Default Re: An Old Cannon

It looks like the one used in the film "The Pride and the Ecstacy" with Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra and Sofia Loren

?

Right, but it was Pride & Passion, here`s another pic of the girl standing on the cannon, I chased her till she caught me, 53 years later we are still together.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Right, but it was Pride & Passion, here`s another pic of the girl standing on the cannon, I chased her till she caught me, 53 years later we are still together.

So you're just getting to know each other then mate??

Splendid work zwerge, I'd say it was a very successfull match. Congratulations! I've never seen the movie, is the cannon still there in Florida?

Jay

?

Apparently the cannon was sold to this place and now it`s whereabouts are unknown after being resold.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

I remember when it was in the Old Jail in St Augustine but do not know where it is now. I have not been in the Old Jail in several years. Neat pics. Thanks

?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    I remember when it was in the Old Jail in St Augustine but do not know where it is now. I have not been in the Old Jail in several years. Neat pics. Thanks
    I have not been back to Florida since 1960, I live on the west coast now.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

I was there 2 weeks ago. Just stopped for the night on a trip further south. It is still great and if you are in some spots it is hard to tell it's changed much since 1960. The firearms museum that was there in 1960s closed but the owner who is probably 90 still lives in St Aug. I met him a few years ago in the DMZ military shop on San Marco Ave. The Museum of Weapons closed a few years ago after the owner had a stoke. She was a very nice lady and knew more about guns than most men. You should visit if you can. The fort (Castillo de San Marcos) is always fun to see and has many cannon.

Its a Grand Bombard, It was used mainly by the Ottomans to capture Constantinople in the mid-1400s, they were also stationed in forts along the Dardenelles strait later to protect the captured city from any attacks by sea, Theses forts were still effective in 1915 when the british tried it, of course the turks had newer cannons. this was a screw together cannon as it weight too much to be carried in one piece, hence the large handels on the sides, it was only able to be moved by 6 oxen per piece ( there were 2 pieces ) 5 miles a day, thats how slow the progress was. However the Shot as you can imagine was very effective against enemy walls and gates. it took 30 Minutes to reload.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast