Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions

Article about: Stopped at a little gunshop today,saw a matching correct p38 cvq and a type 99 Japanese rifle.Made a deal for package,then found out a luger holster came with it.P38 was brought back in the

Default P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions

Stopped at a little gunshop today,saw a matching correct p38 cvq and a type 99 Japanese rifle.Made a deal for package,then found out a luger holster came with it.P38 was brought back in the luger holster.Pistol looks about unfired,had a hard time getting it apart as factory cosmoline had set up,late war rough finish on it.Type 99 has sat for 50 years looks like,need to clean them up but should clean up better.Never intended to buy anything but couldnt pass it up.The p38 is in the z block,marked cvq not cyq,have heard a about the broken die theory or maybe a code change from cyq to cvq.A package price of 800.00 for all.Any opinions appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions   P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions  

P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions   P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions  

P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions   P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions  

You always seem to get great deals on guns. Excellent score!

Very nice pick up TC!!! I will look into the V vs Y marking and see if I can come up with anything. All look good. Japanese Type 99 is 1942 production 21st series.
    John

I've often read that the 'CVQ' code was a result of poor stamping in the Spreewerk factory. Given the inferior quality of fit and finish of Spreewerk pistols compared to Walther- and Mauser-produced examples, that theory would hold some weight. I don't think it's ever been confirmed one way or another, though no official documentation has ever been found mentioning the 'CVQ' code.

B.B.

Thanks guys,appreciate the info!The bore on type 99 is ex. so may clean it up and shoot it,7.7 jap caliber I think and I have some.Yeah dont know about the cvq, what happened to the leg on the y is a mystery,like you said the finish and stampings are rough and crude so maybe worn or broken die,but didnt they have more than one die?haha.Here are more detailed pics,it cleaned up pretty nice anyway.Love the late war "cog" hammer!Still has full paint in the F&S ,tells me pistol was left alone and not over cleaned.The bore is crisp shiney and as new.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions   P38,luger holster,type 99 Japanese rifle,pickup today opinions  

Your P38 was made in February of 1945. I believe your P38 is a Russian capture that was not re-dipped in Russian bluing. The swastikas appear to have been peened from the photo's. I am not able to blow them up though. What is the marking on your mag? It should be WaA 706 with JVD markings.
    John

John,I dont think its a russia capture,its wearing the correct grips,the mag is correct ,and no capture x or import marks and strill paint in the F&S.Russian captures wont have original grips or mag normally and all were dip blued and import marked at least the ones I have seen,no doubt in my mind this is a bringback,came with a ww2 holster.The eagle proof on slide is just a damaged/worn stamp,nothing was peened, anyway JMO.A little oil on the type 99 brought it back to live,screws have never been turned on this rifle,its as was brought back.All came from same guy,was given to him by his granpa or so I was told?Have no reason to doubt it guy that brought it in was not a dealer or collector.

I am going to politely disagree with you TC. There are many Russian captured guns that were left untouched with the exception of peening the swastika. This also applies to K98 rifles. I could not enlarge photos but I have not seen a clearly marked swastika on this P38. Eagle wings yes but no Swastika. Either way it is a very nice gun with a history. I am guessing that this may not have left the factory or never was delivered before being peened. This still could be a bringback that was traded for but has been in Russian hands. Again this adds to the history. Just my $.05 worth
    John

Ahh the P38 is crap! look at the finish! lazily made!!!

Thanks John,well I have seen some of these late war cyqs with unreadable stamps,anyway thanks for the info!I didnt know the russians captured these in 1945 and just peened the swaz on the slide,good to know,how it got here without an import stamp is kind of odd but not impossible.Must have been brought back from russia or came over before 1968 ,as thats when the import stamp was required.Sounds like you have seen them before so you are probably right.Rene yeah they are rough, some collectors love the late war stuff,the rougher the better!haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast